theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Becoming a nurse with a previous spent conviction??

Becoming a nurse with a previous spent conviction??

Author
punkypingu
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello there, first of all I apologize if this isn't in the right forum, I'm new to this website.
I am 35 years old, all my life I have dreamed of becoming a nurse, but have never been in the position to go for it. Not one for the sympathy vote, but I've been through alot. I lost my baby daughter in 2003, then went on to have my son. I came out of an abusive relationship with the father of both babies, which forced me to, leave all my possessions behind & relocate. I've always had a job, never been in trouble with the police or anything. During the time in which I moved away, I started working 16hours a week In a bistro , which I did for 5 years.
Sorry to go on, to cut a long story short, I got interviewed under caution for benefit fraud, which then led to me going to court and been served with a court fine, an 8 week curfew order & obviously having to pay the money back ( £3,000)
It was an awful ,embarrassing time for me. All down to the fact that I just assumed the hours I did over, would tally up with the weeks where I didn't work, due to summer holidays , kids been off school etc .
Anyway, I've not been in trouble since, I don't even claim benefits anymore. I am still paying the money back monthly . My head at the time of all this, was all over the place. I was still very much grieving for my baby girl, I'd never had counselling for it, so was very confused about life.
I'm now in a better place, I'm now married to an amazing man, who that's me & my son wonderfully & we have since had a baby boy together. I am now in a position to go back to part time education & fulfill my dream of becoming a nurse . I want to make something of my life & make my kids proud of me.
The only thing stopping me is this conviction. Where do I stand? Is it possible to still become a nurse or am I best just trying something completely different ? I've always had jobs where I've been trusted to lock up, cash up, etc . Ive never been in trouble before.
I'm so confused at the lack of information available for someone in my position.
If anyone could help me, I'd be ever so grateful .
Thanks in advance.
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Sorry, the conviction was in July 2012
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being

Ok, thank you. I will do that later. I've a horrible feeling your right though Sad
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being

Does anyone else know any more on this please?
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being

Oh thank you so much, that's reassuring. Can I be cheeky & ask if your conviction was as bad as fraud though?
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being

Morning, thank you for sharing that. I want to start ASAP really . I will have to do an access course first. I'm not getting any younger, I wish I'd have applied years ago, but as I said, I've never been in the right position to do so. At what point did you declare your conviction? I'm sorry to ask you all these questions, it's just such a relief to see someone who has been through this & has gone on to to nursing training.
punkypingu
punkypingu
Supreme Being

Sorry, another question...I'm just wondering how you told your uni about the conviction? Was it at the interview or on the application forms? I'm thinking of doing a Distance learning course, I don't know if I have to tell them or not? I don't want to get to your end of it all and it all be for nothing. It's all making me feel sick as I've never wanted something so badly. I understand at University , you do work placements too? Does the University disclose the information to the employers or do we have to do that?? Again sorry for all the questions. Thank you x
george5WR
george5WR
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)Supreme Being (577 reputation)

I don't understand why it should be a problem because of it. Talking of hospitals and nursing sphere of business, you should care about your new clothes and shoes at new working position, isn't it? You may visit this vegan nursing shoes article, to read more about that shoes, and how they can help your legs avoid traumas, being the most comfortable shoes ever been produced.
Edited
3 Years Ago by george5WR
GO