theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

US Visa - 2nd Attempt Success

US Visa - 2nd Attempt Success

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
yklad81 - that's brilliant news. And some fantastic advice here. I'm going to suggest that we run this as a success in theRecord - I'll drop a line to our volunteer editor.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
The Stig
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Yep great news but all go's on the sort of conviction you have don't it. With my conviction i would be shown the door.

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?
yklad81
yklad81
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)

After my last attempt in London two years ago I bit the bullet and tried again for my B2 Visa and was granted.

I must admit the new online application process and booking system for the US Embassy/Consulate is speedier and cheaper than going though the old 09 £1.20 pm number.

Applied for my visa at the US Consulate in Belfast very nice building bit tricky to find but head towards the Ulster Bank offices and their is the security office.

Appointment was at 11.45am but arrived at 11.30am security is friendly and you can leave your mobile phone with them which is a bonus as their are no public payphones near the Consulate. After being searched I walked up the grounds past the Consular Genrals office (He was in and wavied when he saw someone walking up the path who was a visitor). You go right to the back of the building into a small office with three counters and an Interview Booth. There is a vending machine for drinks.

Passed all my documents over

1) DS-160 Confirmation Page
2) Interview Confirmation Page (Printed of the new website)
3) Old Passport
4) ACPO Certificate
5) VCU01 Form
6) 2" x 2" Photo

Was asked to sit down and wait was 10 other people in the room.

Was called up to the desk again arround 40 minutes later and they took my fingerprints and handed me back my photo.

about 20 minutes later I was called into the Interview Booth and was greeted by a nice friendely American Lady.

She asked me:-
1) Why I wanted the visa?
2) What I was going to do in the States?
3) How long was I with my Partner?
4) Explain to me what happened regarding your convition etc. I was very trutful and told her about my volunteering etc to keep payng back to the community

She typed away at her screen. Thanked me for being so upfront and honnest and she said it's my decision (dramatic pause and stern look on her face) to grant you your visa for 10 years. (Big gay moment I cried and full of thanks). Now just waiting for the passport to come back.

Total Time at the Consulate 1hour 20 minutes

Just be truthful, honest and dress smart.

Just remember to take all your information with you and be honest!

Post Edited (yklad81) : 29/06/2014 13:40:46 (GMT+2)

yklad81
yklad81
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)

Hi Jinty,

Will let you know on here how i get on only 98 days to go (Not that I am counting). When it comes to CBP they can refuse anyone entry ESTA or with a Visa no one has a right to go into the USA (Thats what a visa officer told me). I hope it goes well for you. Did the consular officer sound positive?

D
yklad81
yklad81
Supreme Being

Hi DaveLAC,

Sorry not seen your post before today not been on the forum for a while. My conviction was theft by Employee was given 200 hours community service.
I have since my convistion been working with voluntary organisations (paid) and doing voluntary work to which I took a letter from my Chair about how since the convistion I have
been paying back to the community above my CO. The Consular Officer was really friendly asked some questions what I had done, what I had done to reform myself, she then tried being funny by saying "on this occasion it is my opinion "Dramatic pause pretends to pass everything back to me" it is my decision to grant to a B2 visa. then put my paperwork in with my passport and said thank you.

Hi JintyD,

I know how you feel, I first went for my Visa in london and was treated like a peice of dirt on the Consular officers shoes I was in at 8am had a very low was seen my the first desk within 30 minutes of arriving handed over my documents and fingerprints taken then sat back down for 3 hours! when I was called into the interview booth she had already made up her mind asked me what the offence was and then it was then said i am not going to grant you a visa becuase their was not enough time between the offence and the interview handed me a peice of paper which told me something competly different I was in and out of the booth within 5 minutes!

I left it a couple of years and took the advice from various forums etc and booked my appointment interview at Belfast all very easy now via their new website etc with no more expensive calls. I am sorry to hear that you need to go for a Waver and wish you all the best. The staff are very friendly and very welcoming which is competly different from london. I went with my partner who I left at the gate the guard said what was he going to do as he could not come in and gave him directions to a local cafe used by the consulate staff. Very friendly staff and a lovely setting more peaceful than london.

Fingers crossed for you and hope you get the waver, im off to Orlando in October and I am really nervous about the Border Control but will have to see what happens when I get to MCO.

The thing i found out is if your truthful with the USA then you will not have any problems. Their is no point getting caught and then getting banned for life.

Hope this helps you both?
yklad81
yklad81
Supreme Being

Hey Caterpillar,

The offence was: Theft by employee
Year of sentince: 2009
Outcome: 150 hours Community Service

Hope this helps?
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Hi Yklad81

That's brilliant......does the website tell you what you need to bring. Many questions.....how do I book appointment. Why do you need old passport. I live in Scotland and have never heard of number 4 or 5 on your list. I would love to go to America but I am at a total loss as to how I go about it and I find the website very confusing.
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

Hi DaveLAC,

Fingers crossed for you for Orlando...I'm sure it will be fine. I just find it all very sad indeed that if you are only going for a couple of weeks holiday they could decide not to let someone in on a whim. I've been told that even if I get the waiver, it's up to Border Control whether you get in or not - that's really not very fair but we just have to suck it up I guess.

Good luck and let us know.

J
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being

Hi DaveLAC

I'll def let you know - in two years my conviction will be "spent" but never in the eyes of the USA authorities.

J
JintyD
JintyD
Supreme Being

Thank you so much. I shall come back on and let you know how I get on although it will be a good few months before I get organised.

What great work you do.

J
GO