theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Im on probation and want to leave the UK

Im on probation and want to leave the UK

Author
@DisgracedBanker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Archie,

Does it not leave you having to continually explain when you return to the UK Border Desk why someone on probation is allowed to travel overseas ?
@DisgracedBanker
@DisgracedBanker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Fair play to you Archie,

It shows perservering pays off in the end. I guess its like prison, where the screws don't always know the rules and what is allowed, such that they just say no, very often. It is up to us then to prove otherwise. I have just begun the process of applying for permission. I've discussed it with the PO, she was unaware that such accomodation existed and gave me the blanket ban discussion, I made her aware of the Probation Circular and have now written to the Senior PO in my area. The hardest bit I find pinning down is getting some kind of indication from the probation service, what they deem to be 'exceptional' and how I can show that I would fall in that category.

As for lists, I don't know that I would be. Only a list of individuals on probation that the Border Agents would get - if they do. I am categorised as a low risk, non mappa, non sor, financial offences. Short sentence etc.

DB
@DisgracedBanker
@DisgracedBanker
Supreme Being

Archie,

do you have the explicit exceptional circumstances statement at hand. I have had a reply from my own Probation office which talks ambiguiously only and says that even when exceptional cases exist, they will only allow travel in a small number of circumstances. The last bit seems ridiculous, I'm sure they aren't limited by the number of applications they can allow. As you say, each case on their merits.

However, I still haven't been given an explicit statement as to what would entail business related exceptional circumstances.

DB
frenchy
frenchy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)Supreme Being (398 reputation)

Sasha
I am currently on probation, and have an 18 month licence which expires in Oct 2013. you have probably read my post on here, but I am trying to get my licence lifted so that I can go back and work in France doing my old job and living with my wife and children. So far I have just been rejected by probation, but have a meeting with them on Thursday regarding this. This morning I have just received a letter from my MP saying that they have passed my request to the Home Secretary, and the PPO have open a case yesterday. If you really believe that you have a case and depending on what you were originally sentenced for, then I would go down this route. I am not holding any hopes up on my case as I dont want to come crashing down, but I hope it is very carefully considered. I have no intention of giving up as I truly am a reformed offender.
I don't know how long you are on licence for, but I would not risk being recalled by just going anyway.
GO