theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Police check for security firm

Police check for security firm

Author
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
It depends what type of security work he will be doing. if he will be working for the MOD or the Government it would be flagged up. If it is a 'bog standard' security job it won't. They will only check his criminal record. Either way, if a concern is raised he will just need to explain it. It would be discrimination if he didn't get a job because of a family connection.
Tracey123
Tracey123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)

Thanks for the reply. Its for an engineer post. I looked at the ACPO for security systems and in the Disclosure of Convictions section states that 'spent convictions warnings, cautions etc cannot be considered'. It also states the police check will be limited to a PNC check against criminal convictions only. Therefore I would assume it will be a basic check only and hopefully nothing will show up regarding his uncle.

And yes it would surely be illegal for them to refuse the position because of someone else.

Thanks again.
Tracey123
Tracey123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)Supreme Being (998 reputation)

My son who has no criminal record has been accepted for a position with a security firm on the condition all checks are ok.

One of those checks is a police check. While I have no concern for my son his uncle is serving a lengthy sentence and both were registered at same address. Will his uncles record have have any effect on my sons police check?
GO