theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Multiple cautions not filtered??

Multiple cautions not filtered??

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Steve

Just to confirm, multiple convictions would never be eligible for filtering.

Multiple cautions can be filtered providing they are not offences which are on the List that can never be filtered.

Would you mind letting us have a copy of Lord Bates letter - this could either be posted or emailed to our Helpline - advice@unlock.org.uk

Many thanks

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Steve0606
Steve0606
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)

Hi Deb

Thanks for the reply. Can I just confirm that shoplifting is not on that list?

I can transcribe the letter and I shall send it to the email you provided today.

Regards

Steve
Steve0606
Steve0606
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)Supreme Being (5.5K reputation)

Hi all

I wrote to my local MP about the Carlile report and his recommendations to expunge criminal records for under 18 year olds. I got a reply from Lord Bates (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Criminal Information at the Home Office) and in it, among other things, he says:

"The introduction by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) of a filter model ensures that, subject to a specified criteria, certain convictions are filtered i.e., they are not disclosed in a criminal record certificate issued by the DBS. Under the DBS filter model, if a person has more than one conviction, none of their convictions are filtered. Mr *** (me) has two cautions on his record and so, accordingly, under the Government approved model, both his cautions will forever appear on 'Standard' or 'Enchanced' criminal record certificates issued by the DBS."

This is clearly in direct contradiction to the advice given by Unlock and from what I've heard elsewhere. I've written back to him and I hope to get a reply. But can someone from the Unlock team please confirm, without a shadow of a doubt, that multiple cautions are filtered and that Lord Bates is wrong.

Thanks

Steve
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I agree with you, multiple cautions can be filtered, as long as they are not on the unfiltered list of offences.

It is amazing that a Lord Bates, who should know what he is talking about, is giving wrong advice. Perhaps he should of rung unlock to get the answer, before he wrote the letter, to get good advice.
The Pineapple Thief
The Pineapple Thief
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)

Hi Steve

I can confirm that Theft (non-violent) will be filtered as detailed in the simple guide to filtering.

The list of offences that are not eligible for filtering is a lot shorter than the list of offences that has been filtered. You'll be no doubt pleased to see that Theft-Shoplifting is the 1st on the list of offences that can be filtered.

Cheers

TPT

I haven't stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!

I havent stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!
GO