theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Feel like I don't have a future anymore

Feel like I don't have a future anymore

Author
The Pineapple Thief
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi MaybeOneDay,

You are absolutely right, things could be worse and someone will give you a chance eventually. Yes it is hard going but the good thing is that you haven't given up.

I can empathise with your non-successful application from Greggs. A couple of weeks ago I had a brilliant interview for a job and I came away thinking that they would be hard-pushed not to employ me unless they had a really good internal candidate. Disclosure wasn't a problem at all (I may have posted elsewhere about that). I wasn't successful but an hour after requesting feedback which has to be requested via their HR department, they phoned me back with an interview offer for the same job in a different location. Admittedly I'd forgotten I'd applied for it. So what I'm trying to say is although I wasn't successful in that interview, I'm obviously good enough to be considered for the post but there was someone that must have just edged it. It brings to mind Alan Sugar deciding who's going to win the Apprentice*

Getting your foot in the door is a good analogy. I feel as though I've got my toes just about in but not quite ready for the shoulder barge yet.

Don't feel that you've let your kids down, you haven't. You've done your best for them and are still trying to do your best for them.

Good luck with your future applications and don't be put off by applying for anything.

*No I'm not Katie Hopkins!

I haven't stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!

I havent stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!
The Pineapple Thief
The Pineapple Thief
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)

The first place I would look is here for insurance. The link is the Unlock motor insurance list and this is the link for other insurance information that Unlock has.

The Pineapple Thief
The Pineapple Thief
Supreme Being

There are three different types of DBS checks and guidance about them is here.

As Damag3d says, some offences are 'filtered' and the guidance for that is on this page. Surprisingly possession of an offensive weapon will be filtered but destroying a Channel Tunnel train or pointing an offensive weapon against the Sovereign will never be filtered. There's a spreadsheet on one of the filtering guides that lists all of the offences that are never filtered. I'm not an expert but I think yours should be filtered - albeit in 11 years time.

Kate66
Kate66
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)Supreme Being (396 reputation)

Hey hun,
Don't give up. I was convicted of a charge I didn't even commit back in 1997. It was filtered out last year under the new regulations and I had a clear DBS.
By the way I am a Senior Social Worker and although I feel ashamed all the time about it I have to sit with my manager and explain and when you explain it they understand.
Remember there are laws to help and support offenders. Also, you didn't harm anyone, or your not an axe murderer. It will pass be honest with it, own it and just explain it.
I understand its difficult amid the minority that are purely judgemental and stigmatise but us offenders petty or otherwise need a chance and society needs to acknowledge
that some of us are goodhearted and very decent people behind that conviction. I wish you all the best hunny. Believe me it will be ok. Kate x
GO