theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Feel like I don't have a future anymore

Feel like I don't have a future anymore

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Getting into nursing with a conviction will clearly be more difficult than without a conviction but certainly not impossible. Universities will be able to see that you were only given a fine which should reassure them of how seriously the magistrates felt the issue to be.

Come November 2015, you will no longer have to disclose your conviction for the majority of jobs and if a basic criminal record check were to be done, nothing would be shown. As you will see from this Forum, many people work quite successfully in a range of industries who have convictions.

I'm sure you'll be given lots of good information and support here that will be able to help you get into work.

Good luck

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Yes agree with the above sentiments, life is certainly not over its important to not give up.

I have known several people with 8+ criminal convictions and to them they just ignore it and apply for job positions locally in shops, retail or offices and these are the type of job positions no checks are done.Some of them went onto management even.

You may have to adjust your careers or job roles or your chosen profession but this is normal in life it will have its downs and ups.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Ok well its not so bad tbh spent after 1 year I understand the morality stance of answering no also but hey if they don't do a basic check or dbs check and your working a year will go pretty fast..... if they did do some check afterwards then you could say it was spent.

Just throwing it out there, its not like the criminal justice system is legit or fair exactly.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Agree you can't let yourself feel you have let your kids down after all everything you get or own is going to them right ?

When they grow up they will understand and appreciate it way more.

Can I ask did you get a criminal conviction outcome during your case?

Otherwise till its spent you may just have to do the best you can and keep trying, its no shame when you hear people on here simply saying no to criminal convictions and chancing it
after all what does a minor mishap with benefits have to do with with putting together fresh bakery or stacking food on shelves?

My point if you have shown an employer your good work and skill, worst case is 6 months or 6 years later they discover the truth then at least you got your foot well in the door and more importantly proved to the employer you were the right candidate, I am willing to bet any out of the almost 10 million people with criminal records if they worked and showed they are no different or perhaps better then most workers while working, they themselves would have proved that the check box called "do you have a criminal record" is wrong and illegal in the first place.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

You could try here:

https://www.disclosurecalculator.org.uk/go

I believe most cautions and convictions will show up on the dbs checks sadly, only the very low offenses tend to get wiped.

Usually theft, assault even drugs tend to stay around on dbs checks course those wordings can mean anything from benefit fraud to armed robberies in a bank !
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

So its just like before, tick no to criminal records.

This is KFC not a bank of england Smile

You have to weigh up your offence and ask yourself was it very minor and just a silly mistake ?

Remember we can't all be like the politicians and police and be 100% perfect.

You can always say after a year its spent and only then if its asked which is doubtful.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

I think at worst from what I have heard around here if an employee is caught lieing on the application form at most they loose their job and usually are asked to resign or leave.

I know from a legal point and after what's happen its left a bitter taste in your mouth so won't advise something that you may after regret, perhaps
its better then to find job positions where no such questions are asked and keep trying.
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I feel we have to live in the Real World. Society, which, (including employers), discriminate against people with Convictions. This is because they are allowed to. There is no offence under Law for employers not to employ someone for having a conviction. Until this is challenged and changed this will not change and the majority of employers will not take people with convictions on.

There are a small minority of employers who will, but these are few and far between.

Until people with convictions come under the Equality Act 2010, we will be continually be discriminated against, even though we have rehabilitated and moved on from our offending. Employers when they see the box ticked yes, will I believe disregard the application, even though that person has rehabilitated and will be a good employee.

Also if people with convictions came under the Equality Act 2010, the unspent box would have to disappear from all job applications, as that would be classed as discrimination.

What we have to do as people with convictions is get together and campaign, together we are not a small voice.
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Remember the person you are. Whilst we may of made mistakes in the past, we have learnt from them and are now moving forward with our lives. We are Better, Stronger people now. When going for jobs, concentrate on the skills you can offer your future employers to help them become a better company. Yes, be honest and open regarding your convictions, but tell them how you have rehabilitated and recognized your mistakes, which you will not repeat again. Explain to them that the experience's you have been through, has made you a better stronger person, who has a lot to offer them. You are a good person.
MaybeOneDay
MaybeOneDay
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

Thank you for the replies. I know things could be worse and I am sure someone will give me a chance eventually, it's just hard going isn't it. I applied for a job at Greggs yesterday and got a NO from them this morning. I'd heard that they give people with convictions a chance, so that was even more disappointing.

We have a new B&M store opening nearby soon so I will try there. At the moment i'd be willing to work anywhere that would have me tbh, just to get my foot back in the door.

I just feel like I have really let my kids down confused
GO