theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Spent convictions have shown up on ACPO check.

Spent convictions have shown up on ACPO check.

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Spent convictions are shown on an ACPO check unfortunately, so I think what you heard was incorrect. Worth taking a look on our Hub at www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?sid=67#policecertificate

Need information/advice?

1.       Visit our online Information Hub, including Frequently Asked Questions, Publications, and Links at www.unlock.org.uk

2.       Ask the community at forum.unlock.org.uk

3.       Contact our Helpline

Use our online form:          www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=160

Email us:                                advice@unlock.org.uk

Call us:                                   01634 247350 (Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9am to 5pm)

Write to us:                           IAS, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

P.S. On that page you'll see a 'basic check' - that's what only discloses unspent convictions.

But, employers in Saudi are not obliged to follow the ROA (and so don't have to limit their disclosure requests to just unspent convictions) - the ROA doesn't apply to any situation outside of England and Wales.

Need information/advice?

1.       Visit our online Information Hub, including Frequently Asked Questions, Publications, and Links at www.unlock.org.uk

Call us:                                   01634 247350 (Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9am to 5pm)

Write to us:                           IAS, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

xl - that's correct, but the fact that AndyPac's convictions have been disclosed suggests that they've not reached the point where they'd be stepped down.

Unfortunately, as a result, there's nothing you can do.

Need information/advice?

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

DFK makes a good point here. Basically, each Country will have their own criteria when it comes to dealing with convictions. So, while you can forget about the ROA, it might be that there are some other provisions that they have which sift out certain convictions. That might mean (depending on their process) that they'll accept a basic disclosure. But, it might also mean that they'll require a Subject Access (particularly in countries where they take all into account).

AndyPac - sounds like in your case they wanted a Police Certificate. It's not clear whether this is for visa/immigration purposes, or for the employer? Technically, Police Certificates are not really intended for employment. Might be worth taking a look at the FAQ page on Police Certificates on the ACPO website - www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_FAQs.aspx

Need information/advice?

xl
xl
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)

Hi apparently the old step down procedure is still operational for ACPO certificates - wherby you would have "no live trace"
AndyPac
AndyPac
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)

I'm applying for a job in Saudi and my ACPO check came back with my long list of (very spent) convictions. This will absolutely have a bearing on my employment there and I'd like to know if there's any way I can have it removed or if there's a different check which comes back clean. I had heard the spent convictions wouldn't be visible.

Any ideas, anyone?
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

RemorseA said...
What exactly is the purpose of a spent caution if it still keeps hindering all aspects of life? Emigration is a pain and staying home is unbearable.

Welcome to GB

Can't leave....cant work

Its like the ultimate test of zero will

self employment is the key and not in the five finger discount way !
RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

What exactly is the purpose of a spent caution if it still keeps hindering all aspects of life? Emigration is a pain and staying home is unbearable.
GO