theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

new job offer - not been asked about convictions... yet...

new job offer - not been asked about convictions... yet...

Author
TonyTiano1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Js

I was in EXACTLY the same situation as you a few weeks back, worried about Day 1 forms, so I just declined the offer beforehand as silly as it sounds, hence the anxiety/amebarrasement, etc of the question being asked on Day 1. I had no previous convictions, but a conditional discharge which is spent this August (thank god)
The problem is, they always do 'ask THE question' at some point. If it is not beforehand, it will most likely be on the job offer in writing or on Day 1/1st week forms, etc.
It is just so annoying, how minor convictions/hence declaring gives the employer the opportunity to say no straight away. I have had 3 withdrawals after an offer rejected already as a result of 'doing the right thing'
I think you would be better of temping for another few months as you are doing, but as you say such a a wasted opportunity as mine was. Still gutted about it, and trying to move on, but declaring an unspent conviction is however minor is just so stressful, as all you want to do, like me, is try and earn a honest living. Do you think the company being a newish firm have their policies in place though? I understand, hence the unknown/frustration of not knowing this mate. Tony
TonyTiano1
TonyTiano1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

I know what you mean Simon. However it's hard enough to find work as it is under today's current economic climate, and after applying, interview, offer, etc, for it to be withdrawn time and time again because of a minor 'incident' for 1 night of your life which is completely unrelated to your professional life or normal life is just so soul destroying.
How do people find employment under these circumstances? How did you get through it?
TonyTiano1
TonyTiano1
Supreme Being

Turbo - I commend you on moving on, etc....
However when that question is asked on application form or in person, have you any previous convictions or (unspent)? How did you KNOW they were not going to check on 'basic disclosure'? This is the issue. You are right though, declaring it means 98% you will not get the job, no matter how minor....
TonyTiano1
TonyTiano1
Supreme Being

Simon - Nice one on your situation and industry where you have got by. I stated there 'unspent' mate/I have an interview tomorrow and was told I have to fill in application form. Obviously that question will come up, and when I declare it, all over again. Completely irrelevant to the role, but doing the right thing again will cost me even the chance of the job.....
js
js
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)Supreme Being (442 reputation)

Hi,
I've been offered a new job and yet to be asked about convictions. Am due to start shortly (currently just temping) and its a great opportunity so really want to be able to take it up.

i got a conviction last year which will be spent in april with the new laws.

But am really worried that on day 1 at the new job, i'll be asked to disclose and / or will be presented with a form for a basic / standard / enhanced DBS check. If that happens, i guess i'll have to find a quick reason to resign almost straight away. Sounds silly, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
When i applied for the job, as it's for a very small, newish firm i'd been hoping that they've yet to get up and running with any formal HR procedures so there was a chance i wouldn't be asked THE question - now am scared this won't be the case.

The other option is to not take up the new job offer, carrying on temping (not keen on that - it's a really sh*t job) and wait a couple of months till the conviction becomes spent and then can apply for anything. Just it seems such a waste to turn down this offer.

Anyone been in this position?
Any ways of resigning diplomatically after your first day?
What are the practicalities of getting a DBS check done? How would I know this is happening & would i have any control over that situation?

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.
GO