theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to South Africa

Travelling to South Africa

Author
Dazzie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All

Has anybody had any experience of travelling to and working in South Africa with a criminal record. The UK seems so risk adverse nowadays that I can't help thinking that I'd be better off working abroad.

From what I've read on the Unlock website, travelling to SA for a holiday doesn't seem to be too much of a problem but I wonder whether it would be any different if I wanted to work in South Africa.

I met a guy when I was in HMP Wandsworth who told me that he'd worked in South Africa for many years after receiving a criminal record in the UK.  He told me that he'd had no problems at all. This could potentially be an option for me as I think I'd be able to get work. Has anybody else had any experience.

Many thanks 

Daz

GO