theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Got a new job - Now the panic starts

Got a new job - Now the panic starts

Author
wotsit39
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
james gtr manchester - 8 Mar 17 8:09 AM
wotsit39 - 25 Jan 17 7:03 PM
HI All, 

Hope you're well.

Ive just been through the interview process for a new job and received an offer for the position today. I still have 2 years left until my conviction is spent. On the job offer letter there is a paragraph which makes it clear that the offer is subject to satisfactory references & criminal checks. 

I know people that work at the organisation already, and they will do a basic disclosure check but after I have started the job.

Im having a panic today because of the wording in the letter, I don't want to start the new job only to be frog-marched off the premises after disclosing my conviction.

My questions are, can they actually fire me after leaving a current position and starting there because of the conviction? And if so, is it worth me letting the HR person know that there is a conviction now, before I hand in my notice at my current role.  

For the record, they do seem to be a socially progressive company and on their website say convictions are only taken into consideration if it affects the ability to do the role, which is only negligible in my case.

Thanks

Can I ask what your conviction is for? What sector does it work in?

I do have a letter from the Secretary of State for justice. I've done  some work writing to my local MP who's written to various companies on my behalf.

To be honest though, i'm now getting to the point of where i'm actually fearful of writing to companies. Now to safeguard myself i'm avoiding all work.

Not good.

I work in IT. The offences were for indecent images. 

Its wrong that you should live in fear of progressing with your life in a positive way. 

Ive decided to take the chance and go for it. My conviction is spent before I start my employment so Im hoping it will all work out.
james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
HI All, 

Hope you're well.

Ive just been through the interview process for a new job and received an offer for the position today. I still have 2 years left until my conviction is spent. On the job offer letter there is a paragraph which makes it clear that the offer is subject to satisfactory references & criminal checks. 

I know people that work at the organisation already, and they will do a basic disclosure check but after I have started the job.

Im having a panic today because of the wording in the letter, I don't want to start the new job only to be frog-marched off the premises after disclosing my conviction.

My questions are, can they actually fire me after leaving a current position and starting there because of the conviction? And if so, is it worth me letting the HR person know that there is a conviction now, before I hand in my notice at my current role.  

For the record, they do seem to be a socially progressive company and on their website say convictions are only taken into consideration if it affects the ability to do the role, which is only negligible in my case.

Thanks

Can I ask what your conviction is for? What sector does it work in?

I do have a letter from the Secretary of State for justice. I've done  some work writing to my local MP who's written to various companies on my behalf.

To be honest though, i'm now getting to the point of where i'm actually fearful of writing to companies. Now to safeguard myself i'm avoiding all work.

Not good.
wotsit39
wotsit39
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Deb S - 26 Jan 17 8:42 AM
HI All, 

Hope you're well.

Thanks

Hi wotsit

If your conviction is still unspent and a condition of employment is that your references and criminal record check are satisfactory then the company would be within their rights to sack you if they felt that your criminal record check didn't meet their criteria. 

If you're leaving another job to take this one then if I were you, I wouldn't want to take any chances and I'd disclose to the HR department or Line Manager before I handed in my notice at my current job. 

You say that the company seem to be socially progressive and I'm sure they would appreciate you're being so open and honest at an early stage - this could well go in your favour.

Good luck 

Debs 

Hi Debs,

Thanks for the response. After a bit of digging I found out that my conviction becomes spent before my new employment starts. 6 days, before my new job starts to be exact. 

Now I just have to hope that the system works and there are no hiccups when I send off the basic disclosure application.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

HI All, 

Hope you're well.

Thanks

Hi wotsit

If your conviction is still unspent and a condition of employment is that your references and criminal record check are satisfactory then the company would be within their rights to sack you if they felt that your criminal record check didn't meet their criteria. 

If you're leaving another job to take this one then if I were you, I wouldn't want to take any chances and I'd disclose to the HR department or Line Manager before I handed in my notice at my current job. 

You say that the company seem to be socially progressive and I'm sure they would appreciate you're being so open and honest at an early stage - this could well go in your favour.

Good luck 

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
wotsit39
wotsit39
Supreme Being

HI All, 

Hope you're well.

Thanks

GO