theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Advice needed

Advice needed

Author
stupidme
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
Can someone give me some advice, a little background

When i was 18 in late 1998 i was convicted of:  carrying air weapon in public place (loaded or not) Firearms act 1968 S.19

I was shooting some tin cans off a bit of wood in a run down, disused car park near my home. the offence sounds terrible but i really thought i was out of the way of anyone. but it seems i wasn't and someone called the police Sad
I wasn't arrested but the officer did take the air gun.  My mother contacted someone at the police station after i had the court date and i got a visit from an inspector (in full uniform, it may have been a higher rank, i just can't remember) he said that it shouldn't have got as far as court but his hands were tide Sad

Can someone tell me if this offence will be filtered? I've looked at the list of offences that will never be filtered and mine isn't listed. 
I had a crb back in 2012 my offence is on there but i believe that was before the filtering system came about.

I have an enhanced DBS next week for a part time job and worried that this will trip me up. Should i disclose it or will i be within my right to say that i have no criminal offences? 

I'm really really worried
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

stupidme - 9 Feb 17 8:11 PM
Hi all,

When i was 18 in late 1998 i was convicted of:  carrying air weapon in public place (loaded or not) Firearms act 1968 S.19

I was shooting some tin cans off a bit of wood in a run down, disused car park near my home. the offence sounds terrible but i really thought i was out of the way of anyone. but it seems i wasn't and someone called the police Sad
I wasn't arrested but the officer did take the air gun.  My mother contacted someone at the police station after i had the court date and i got a visit from an inspector (in full uniform, it may have been a higher rank, i just can't remember) he said that it shouldn't have got as far as court but his hands were tide Sad

Can someone tell me if this offence will be filtered? I've looked at the list of offences that will never be filtered and mine isn't listed. 
I had a crb back in 2012 my offence is on there but i believe that was before the filtering system came about.

I have an enhanced DBS next week for a part time job and worried that this will trip me up. Should i disclose it or will i be within my right to say that i have no criminal offences? 

Hi stupidme

Welcome to theForum.

Providing you only have this one conviction and there is only one charge and it did not result in a prison or suspended sentence then it would be eligible for filtering.  Assuming this is the case, then you don't need to disclose it if you're having standard or enhanced DBS checks done.

As you've mentioned, filtering wasn't introduced until May 2013 which is why it would have shown up on your previous check done in 2012. 

Looks like you've got nothing to worry about now.  Have a fab weekend.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Edited
7 Years Ago by Deb S
stupidme
stupidme
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)Supreme Being (877 reputation)

Deb S - 10 Feb 17 8:20 AM
Hi all,

Hi stupidme

Welcome to theForum.

Providing you only have this one conviction and there is only one charge and it did not result in a prison or suspended sentence then it would be eligible for filtering.  Assuming this is the case, then you don't need to disclose it if you're having standard or enhanced DBS checks done.

As you've mentioned, filtering wasn't introduced until May 2013 which is why it would have shown up on your previous check done in 2012. 

Debs 

AWESOME!!

I'll get some sleep tonight at last Smile

Thanks for that
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

stupidme - 10 Feb 17 8:02 PM
Deb S - 10 Feb 17 8:20 AM
Hi all,

Hi stupidme

Welcome to theForum.

Debs 

AWESOME!!

I'll get some sleep tonight at last Smile

Thanks for that

Glad to have helped.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO