theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

I would like to visit the UK, but have criminal record..

I would like to visit the UK, but have criminal record..

Author
Trev
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I would like to visit the UK soon, but I have a conviction on my record. The conviction is for a misdemeanor theft in 2009, which the sentence was only probation. Will I have a problem entering the UK?  I am coming from the United States. 

Thank you
Edited
7 Years Ago by Trev
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Trev - 11 Mar 17 12:27 AM
Hello,

I would like to visit the UK soon, but I have a conviction on my record. The conviction is for a misdemeanor theft in 2009, which the sentence was only probation. Will I have a problem entering the UK?  I am coming from the United States. 

Thank you

Hi Trev

Are you intending to visit for a holiday or to live/work?

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Trev
Trev
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Deb S - 13 Mar 17 8:33 AM
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Trev

Debs 
Hi Debs.,

It will just be a one week visit during the summer. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Trev
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Trev - 13 Mar 17 11:30 AM
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Trev

Debs 
Hi Debs.,

It will just a one week visit during the summer. 

Sorry I should have asked before. What's your nationality as shown on your passport?

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Trev
Trev
Supreme Being

Deb S - 13 Mar 17 3:51 PM
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Trev

Debs 
Hi Debs.,

Sorry I should have asked before. What's your nationality as shown on your passport?

United States of America is the nationality.
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Trev - 13 Mar 17 4:33 PM
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Trev

Debs 
Hi Debs.,

Hi Trev

If you are travelling to the UK for a holiday on a US passport you would not generally need to apply for a visa. 

The Government website states that:-

You may want to apply for a visa if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK.

I've attached a link from our site which sets out further details about travelling to the UK on a visa - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-uk/.  From what I can see, a minor theft conviction which didn't result in a prison sentence, shouldn't stop you from coming to the UK.

Let us know how you get on and have a great holiday.

Debs 

Trev
Trev
Supreme Being

Deb S - 14 Mar 17 8:26 AM
Trev - 13 Mar 17 4:33 PM
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Trev

Debs 
Hi Debs.,

Hi Trev

If you are travelling to the UK for a holiday on a US passport you would not generally need to apply for a visa. 

The Government website states that:-

You may want to apply for a visa if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK.

I've attached a link from our site which sets out further details about travelling to the UK on a visa - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-uk/.  From what I can see, a minor theft conviction which didn't result in a prison sentence, shouldn't stop you from coming to the UK.

Let us know how you get on and have a great holiday.

Debs 

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the info and help. I will post how things go on my trip to the UK. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by Trev
GO