theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Telling a landlord about conviction

Telling a landlord about conviction

Author
riws1975
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
We moved into our current house in May 2014. However in October 2015, my partner had a mini breakdown and as a result ended up with 2 criminal convictions, both resulted in fines. My question is should we have informed the landlord, as i recently read it can affect their buildings insurance if something happened. It's a bit of a grey area as we live in Northern Ireland where it is not spent for 5 years, but in England and Wales it is already spent.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

riws1975 - 29 Jun 17 9:16 AM
We moved into our current house in May 2014. However in October 2015, my partner had a mini breakdown and as a result ended up with 2 criminal convictions, both resulted in fines. My question is should we have informed the landlord, as i recently read it can affect their buildings insurance if something happened. It's a bit of a grey area as we live in Northern Ireland where it is not spent for 5 years, but in England and Wales it is already spent.

As you say, the law is different in Northern Ireland, but the general principle in England & Wales is that if the landlord or letting agent asks, you have to disclose. It might be worth checking your tenancy agreement, but if it's in there, they would probably have asked you before you signed it. The best source of advice would probably be NIACRO. You can find their contact details here.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

riws1975
riws1975
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)Supreme Being (891 reputation)

AB2014 - 29 Jun 17 10:14 AM

As you say, the law is different in Northern Ireland, but the general principle in England & Wales is that if the landlord or letting agent asks, you have to disclose. It might be worth checking your tenancy agreement, but if it's in there, they would probably have asked you before you signed it. The best source of advice would probably be NIACRO. You can find their contact details here.

We were never asked at the time, and my partner didn't have the record at the time, checked the tenancy agreement nothing in there either.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

riws1975 - 30 Jun 17 8:15 AM
AB2014 - 29 Jun 17 10:14 AM

We were never asked at the time, and my partner didn't have the record at the time, checked the tenancy agreement nothing in there either.

Again, the rule over here is that if they don't ask you, you don't have to tell them. If there's nothing in the tenancy agreement, then they can't be that worried about it. It might be worth checking with NIACRO, though, as they might know something about the law in Northern Ireland that wouldn't apply in England.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO