theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

British resident in Switzerland - Conviction from the Netherlands - How does it affect my travel to...

British resident in Switzerland - Conviction from the Netherlands -...

Author
ag_in_GVA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi 
I am a 37 yr old guy from the UK. I was convicted in 2015 in the Netherlands of a sexual offence, and completed my sentence of community service. I now live in Switzerland, and under Dutch and Swiss law, I am no longer required to notify authorities regarding my travel or whereabouts. However when i first returned home (the UK) to visit family in 2015, I was detained at the airport and my details were taken and I was put on the Sex Offenders Register. Since then I have only returned to the UK once only and the police came to my family's house on Christmas eve to ensure my sister knew the details of my conviction because I have two young nephews, both of whom live in the same house I was staying in. My family all know about my conviction, so I am not worried about anyone finding out, I am more concerned about teh police arriving at my sister's house again - because I would like to avoid her having to deal with that again. 
Since I am living in Switzerland, I don't have a police authority in the UK, where I need to register or keep in contact with. Can anyone share any advice on how I might be able to communicate in advance with the relevant authorities that I am coming, and that my sister and family are all aware. I am then more than willing to visit the local police station during my stay if that is necessary. I just want to keep my family out of it, if at all possible. 

Thanks in advance
a
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

ag_in_GVA - 9 Jul 18 1:24 PM
Hi 
I am a 37 yr old guy from the UK. I was convicted in 2015 in the Netherlands of a sexual offence, and completed my sentence of community service. I now live in Switzerland, and under Dutch and Swiss law, I am no longer required to notify authorities regarding my travel or whereabouts. However when i first returned home (the UK) to visit family in 2015, I was detained at the airport and my details were taken and I was put on the Sex Offenders Register. Since then I have only returned to the UK once only and the police came to my family's house on Christmas eve to ensure my sister knew the details of my conviction because I have two young nephews, both of whom live in the same house I was staying in. My family all know about my conviction, so I am not worried about anyone finding out, I am more concerned about teh police arriving at my sister's house again - because I would like to avoid her having to deal with that again. 
Since I am living in Switzerland, I don't have a police authority in the UK, where I need to register or keep in contact with. Can anyone share any advice on how I might be able to communicate in advance with the relevant authorities that I am coming, and that my sister and family are all aware. I am then more than willing to visit the local police station during my stay if that is necessary. I just want to keep my family out of it, if at all possible. 

Thanks in advance
a

You can communicate with the police all you like, however, they will just do what they want. I am sure you are now a law abiding gent, however, if I was a police official and received notification from a former offender in the manner you suggest asking them not to visit I would believe something was a bit fishy... in which case I would certainly make the visit.
There are a certain number of visits the police must make with someone on the Sex Offenders register. If you only return home at Christmas - this is likely to be when they will visit as they must meet their requirement to visit you.
How long did they add you to the register for?
ag_in_GVA
ag_in_GVA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

Square - 9 Jul 18 10:11 PM
Hi 

Thanks in advance
a

You can communicate with the police all you like, however, they will just do what they want. I am sure you are now a law abiding gent, however, if I was a police official and received notification from a former offender in the manner you suggest asking them not to visit I would believe something was a bit fishy... in which case I would certainly make the visit.
There are a certain number of visits the police must make with someone on the Sex Offenders register. If you only return home at Christmas - this is likely to be when they will visit as they must meet their requirement to visit you.

Thanks for your reply.
I have no idea how long for - it was a community service sentence of 30 days in the Netherlands, but I am still being stopped and asked questions every time I travel within Europe- and sorry, i didn't mean to suggest that I wanted them to stay away, I just wanted to make sure I knew if they would plan a surprise visit - because at least i can warn my family. 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

ag_in_GVA - 10 Jul 18 8:43 AM
Hi 

Thanks in advance
a

Thanks for your reply.
I have no idea how long for - it was a community service sentence of 30 days in the Netherlands, but I am still being stopped and asked questions every time I travel within Europe- and sorry, i didn't mean to suggest that I wanted them to stay away, I just wanted to make sure I knew if they would plan a surprise visit - because at least i can warn my family. 

If you just want to make sure your family is ready, tell them to expect a visit, then if it doesn't happen it will be a pleasant surprise. For a community order, you would normally be on the register for five years, starting from the date of conviction. You can check that here. You are covered by Section 80(1)(a) and the notification period is covered by Sections 82(1) and 82(6)(a), so you should be on the register until 2020. Sorry if you've heard this before, but don't forget that in addition to registering your name and address, along with the dates when you will be there, you will have to specify that you will be staying at an address where children are living.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

ag_in_GVA
ag_in_GVA
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 10 Jul 18 11:01 AM
Hi 

Thanks in advance
a

Thanks for your reply.

If you just want to make sure your family is ready, tell them to expect a visit, then if it doesn't happen it will be a pleasant surprise. For a community order, you would normally be on the register for five years, starting from the date of conviction. You can check that here. You are covered by Section 80(1)(a) and the notification period is covered by Sections 82(1) and 82(6)(a), so you should be on the register until 2020. Sorry if you've heard this before, but don't forget that in addition to registering your name and address, along with the dates when you will be there, you will have to specify that you will be staying at an address where children are living.

Thanks this is super helpful - I haven't heard it before. I have basically had no communication beyond the time I was being put on teh register, which as i said happened at an airport so I wasn't really thinking very clearly. I have basically been ignorant of the implications and fearing the worst for the last 3 years. 

Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

ag_in_GVA - 10 Jul 18 11:09 AM
AB2014 - 10 Jul 18 11:01 AM
Hi 

Thanks in advance
a

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks this is super helpful - I haven't heard it before. I have basically had no communication beyond the time I was being put on teh register, which as i said happened at an airport so I wasn't really thinking very clearly. I have basically been ignorant of the implications and fearing the worst for the last 3 years. 

I'd get a lawyer. You should have an assigned police contact team but that would be based on your UK address as they're all local police. If you don't have one, it's not clear who your contact would be. Basically if you're abroad there's nothing they can do, they can't enforce anything, and fortunately they have no rights to hassle any of your family when you're not there or even keep records about anyone other than you because of data protection laws applying to your family members.
GO