theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Disclosing of Criminal Record

Disclosing of Criminal Record

Author
Willow
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 26 Jul 18 8:29 AM
Hi,

It all depends on what your sentence was.

You can use the Unlock Disclosure Calculator here to get an idea of whether and for how long you have to disclose: https://www.disclosurecalculator.org.uk/

You have to disclose unspent convictions to any prospective employer who asks. If you're not asked, you don't need to tell.

Once your conviction is spent, you don't have to disclose it and can tick "no" to all questions about convictions, unless the employer is exempt under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. This only applies if you're looking to work with children, vulnerable people, in certain security roles, the medical/legal profession, etc.

Thank you I just used the calculator which was very helpful.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

Hi,

It all depends on what your sentence was.

You can use the Unlock Disclosure Calculator here to get an idea of whether and for how long you have to disclose: https://www.disclosurecalculator.org.uk/

You have to disclose unspent convictions to any prospective employer who asks. If you're not asked, you don't need to tell.

Once your conviction is spent, you don't have to disclose it and can tick "no" to all questions about convictions, unless the employer is exempt under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. This only applies if you're looking to work with children, vulnerable people, in certain security roles, the medical/legal profession, etc.
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Willow
Willow
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)Supreme Being (727 reputation)

Hi,

I recently received a conviction for an offence under Health and Safety Legislation, do I need to disclose this to prospective employers, after receiving the conviction I resigned from a very good job as my mental health had deteriorated over the four year process and I felt that I had nothing to offer them so I explained my situation to them and then resigned, they are happy to give me a glowing reference as they understand that these convictions can happen to anyone.  I now feel that my mental health is in a better place and want to get back to work and was wondering how I go about answering the conviction part of my application, my conviction was in March this year.

Many thanks
GO