theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Grants etc

Grants etc

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
GaryTS - 10 Jan 19 8:26 PM
Mr W - 1 Dec 18 5:23 PM
GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 7:37 PM
Has anyone every started there own business on this forum after being convicted, just out of interest?

I'm selling my skills and work from home. Not so much as a business as I take what I can - more like a freelancer - but hopefully the more returning clients I can accumulate then the target is to be self-sufficient.

The positive is that my clients can be anywhere in the world. The negative is that it's a race to the bottom when it comes to wage.

This is the first time I've been unemployed since I was 16 and I believe I have lots of employable and adaptable skills but nobody is interested in the real world because I'm now on the SOR. But in the online freelance world, nobody is asking 'that question' they just need the job doing, which suits me (obviously they're tasks that don't tiptoe anywhere near what my RMO would get sniffy about). Whether this is sustainable until I'm spent... who knows.

What is your business idea?

Mr W

thanks for your reply. I don't really have an idea at the moment i am just doing general research into the market to see what is out there and what is lacking.

Im glad to learn that you are doing well and its working out for you thanks for your comments. 

Cheers
Neo

Start with something you have an interest in? If you can make money from something you enjoy doing then you will be quids in and it might not even feel like work.
You can research and research all you like and still not get anywhere because it feels like "everyone is already doing everything" and you may wonder where you fit and get overwhelmed.
So... instead... Start something, now, today or tomorrow, anything! and see where it goes. If it doesn't work, at least you've tried something and you might have spotted something else on the way that you could try next.
I spotted something on TV the other day that I could make out of some wood and I've started making steps towards making and selling the same thing online (I'm not a crafter or wood work person at all). If it works, great, if not, it has been a bit of fun trying and I'll try something else.
If I can help in any way let me know. :-) 

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Mr W - 1 Dec 18 5:23 PM
Has anyone every started there own business on this forum after being convicted, just out of interest?

I'm selling my skills and work from home. Not so much as a business as I take what I can - more like a freelancer - but hopefully the more returning clients I can accumulate then the target is to be self-sufficient.

The positive is that my clients can be anywhere in the world. The negative is that it's a race to the bottom when it comes to wage.

This is the first time I've been unemployed since I was 16 and I believe I have lots of employable and adaptable skills but nobody is interested in the real world because I'm now on the SOR. But in the online freelance world, nobody is asking 'that question' they just need the job doing, which suits me (obviously they're tasks that don't tiptoe anywhere near what my RMO would get sniffy about). Whether this is sustainable until I'm spent... who knows.

Mr W

thanks for your reply. I don't really have an idea at the moment i am just doing general research into the market to see what is out there and what is lacking.

Im glad to learn that you are doing well and its working out for you thanks for your comments. 

Cheers
Neo
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

east72 - 16 Aug 18 8:02 PM

I know someone who done 3 years in prison, came out could not get work so went to collage started his own business in plastering he has so much work all the time, it kept him on the straight and narrow, kept money coming in, and allowed him to have a life again with his children..

Hi east72

Sounds reassuring. it is 100% something worth looking into.if all else fails i guess.

Neo
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

CC - 16 Aug 18 9:31 PM

Hi I have my own business in the leisure sector and its doing fine thanks. The only "hit" I have to take is a loading on my business insurance but otherwise no problems to be honest.

Hi CC

Thanks for your reply. do you mind me asking what sort of thing it is you do in the leisure sector?

Many thanks

Neo
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Hi I have my own business in the leisure sector and its doing fine thanks. The only "hit" I have to take is a loading on my business insurance but otherwise no problems to be honest.
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

I know someone who done 3 years in prison, came out could not get work so went to collage started his own business in plastering he has so much work all the time, it kept him on the straight and narrow, kept money coming in, and allowed him to have a life again with his children..
Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Neo Matrix
Neo Matrix
Supreme Being

Yankee - 16 Aug 18 5:39 PM
GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 5:23 PM
Hi 

does anyone know of any companies or charities or organisations that will give a start up grant to a new business?

I am trying to come up with a viable idea a product or service?

the problem is there is so much competition its finding that one idea which stands out.

Many Thanks

Neo

There are lots of government schemes that provide grants and soft loans to start ups.  Most of them tend to be regional and/or focused on specific industries or sectors.

Follow this link for more information Gov.uk/business-finance

One word of warning - there are hundreds of business brokers out there who will all offer to arrange finance and/or grants. They are usually looking to make money themselves or may simply be an additional layer you pay for to access a scheme you could go directly to for free.

Thanks Yankee.

I will look into this, If all else fails this is certainly an avenue to consider.

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

GaryTS - 16 Aug 18 5:23 PM
Hi 

does anyone know of any companies or charities or organisations that will give a start up grant to a new business?

I am trying to come up with a viable idea a product or service?

the problem is there is so much competition its finding that one idea which stands out.

Many Thanks

Neo

There are lots of government schemes that provide grants and soft loans to start ups.  Most of them tend to be regional and/or focused on specific industries or sectors.

Follow this link for more information Gov.uk/business-finance

One word of warning - there are hundreds of business brokers out there who will all offer to arrange finance and/or grants. They are usually looking to make money themselves or may simply be an additional layer you pay for to access a scheme you could go directly to for free.

GO