theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Is it worth changing you name if it can still be connected to your old one?

Is it worth changing you name if it can still be connected to your old...

Author
RunningMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
In a few months' time, I come off the SOR and life can restart. I am planning on changing my name. It seems to be the only way I can really make a fresh start. However, having reviewed the best way of doing this, I am unsure how best to proceed. A couple of questions:  
1) Is a statutory declaration sufficient to get a passport? And how much has it cost people to use this method? Is this just as good as a Deed Poll? [NB - my current passport lapsed some years ago so I will be applying for a brand new one].
2) If it can only be a Deed Poll to get a passport, does it have to be enrolled? If so, what is the point of going through this only to have it published (and then linked by google) to my old name. A waste of time and money!
Any advice Forum Experts?
RM

Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RunningMan - 3 Mar 19 9:51 PM
In a few months' time, I come off the SOR and life can restart. I am planning on changing my name. It seems to be the only way I can really make a fresh start. However, having reviewed the best way of doing this, I am unsure how best to proceed. A couple of questions:  
1) Is a statutory declaration sufficient to get a passport? And how much has it cost people to use this method? Is this just as good as a Deed Poll? [NB - my current passport lapsed some years ago so I will be applying for a brand new one].
2) If it can only be a Deed Poll to get a passport, does it have to be enrolled? If so, what is the point of going through this only to have it published (and then linked by google) to my old name. A waste of time and money!
Any advice Forum Experts?
RM

I looked into this a while ago although I'm not ready to change my name yet but basically, enroling your deed poll is optional, there is no legal requirement to 'enrol' the change of name

This link should answer your question https://www.deedpoll.org.uk/IsADeedPollRegisteredAnywhere.html

GO