theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Unlock

Unlock

Author
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I received an email about positions available with Unlock. They all required DBS checks without giving reasons for why such a check should be needed. Physician heal thyself! #justsaying

(Also, why are the forums not using https?)
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Was - 20 May 19 5:46 PM
I received an email about positions available with Unlock. They all required DBS checks without giving reasons for why such a check should be needed. Physician heal thyself! #justsaying

Hi good point about the HTTPS I have mentioned it myself in the past. HTTP is a bit vulnerable.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

CC - 20 May 19 8:02 PM

Hi good point about the HTTPS I have mentioned it myself in the past. HTTP is a bit vulnerable.

They would need DBS as they are a registered charity. However, their employment policy I'm sure allows them to employ people with unspent convictions given the nature of their work.

On website security, I agree that its a weakness to not have TLS/SSL encryption, especially given the sensitive nature of some of the topics on the forum.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Yankee - 23 May 19 2:32 PM

They would need DBS as they are a registered charity. However, their employment policy I'm sure allows them to employ people with unspent convictions given the nature of their work.

On website security, I agree that its a weakness to not have TLS/SSL encryption, especially given the sensitive nature of some of the topics on the forum.

Unlock would only need a criminal record check for trustees and senior managers. For other positions, there is no requirement, unless the check would be a standard or enhanced DBS check. I don't think what Unlock does would require a standard or enhanced DBS check for the Helpline staff.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

AB2014 - 23 May 19 2:37 PM

Unlock would only need a criminal record check for trustees and senior managers. For other positions, there is no requirement, unless the check would be a standard or enhanced DBS check. I don't think what Unlock does would require a standard or enhanced DBS check for the Helpline staff.

thanks for the clarification - my oversight. Suspect it is therefore just a matter of policy for them so they have all the facts. The interesting question is what they will do with the information in regard their decision making.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Yankee - 23 May 19 3:15 PM
AB2014 - 23 May 19 2:37 PM

thanks for the clarification - my oversight. Suspect it is therefore just a matter of policy for them so they have all the facts. The interesting question is what they will do with the information in regard their decision making.

Their policy is available on their website here.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO