theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

How Norway turns criminals into good neighbours

How Norway turns criminals into good neighbours

Author
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have just returned after a 2 week break and have had time to consider the whole issue of rehabilitation. I personally feel that before anything could change the governments whole attitude would have to be turned around.  Is a prison sentence just about revenge or rehabilitation. The former is nothing more than a punishment and will change nothing ever whereas the latter would see some real change to re offending rates such as in the Norway example.
The former is imo firmly rooted in Victorian values having observed the way it works from the inside, while there are some really decent prison staff working there there are a good proportion of the exact opposites, calling me to the wing office just to" see how long it would take for me to get there" is a prime example.
If real effective change was to be brought about then there would need to be incentives for that to happen rather than threats (which didn't stop the original offence did it).
If a post release person could demonstrate a positive turn around then why should that not be rewarded, and a positive turn around would be a lot more achievable if blocks where not put in place. Logically the "blocks" are "Put in place" to reduce offending? but its those very blocks that in  many cases hamper the ex-offender from moving on and lessening their chances of re-offending.
I dont believe in the rehabilitation fairy
Outsourced
Outsourced
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

The government are more likely to come up with the 'national criminal wage'. Employers can then pay lower rates on salary and employers national insurance. 
The worse the record the lower the price. Companies would have  taxis lined up at prison gates with employment contracts. 

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

BenS - 11 Jul 19 10:43 AM
While I approve of the Norwegian model for the vast majority of prisoners, I'm torn a bit, because people like Breivik should, IMO, clearly never set foot outside a prison again.

My understanding at the time he was convicted was that when his time is nearly up, the parole board and the court can extend his sentence in increments of five years. Looks like they've thought of everything, which is also a good sign.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

While I approve of the Norwegian model for the vast majority of prisoners, I'm torn a bit, because people like Breivik should, IMO, clearly never set foot outside a prison again.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

CC - 10 Jul 19 4:30 PM
Hi Debs,  A You Tube guy called Thoughty2 put a similar video out a year or two ago, I think I posted a link to that on here. Sadly I dont think this country is at all interested in rehabilitation in anyway. Wouldnt get votes you know, neither are they interested in publicising or paying any attention to what offences actually have low or high recidivism rates. I had to use a solicitor to even get onto my course otherwise I would have been released without doing one! Thats how much they care. Could Unlock publish recidivism rates by offence I wonder?  After release I had zero help and had to "sort myself "out.
I know Im far from being alone in this in fact Boris Johnson has recently stated that if he gets his own way violent and sex offenders wont be eligible for early release. How will that affect inmates willingness to complete courses I wonder?
I dont believe in the rehabilitation fairy.

I can well believe that he would have said that. I am even more prepared to accept that he just doesn't understand early release. At the moment, Home Detention Curfew isn't available for anyone convicted of a sexual offence, but someone convicted of a violent offence can be eligible if they're not on an extended sentence. In any case, nobody sentenced to more than four years for anything is eligible, which is probably the sort of prisoner he meant. Yet another politician talking without actually saying anything.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

I read this and think it's very pro active and positive.

The prison guards at that particular prison have to train for 3 years before being allowed to fulfill their role and in comparison in this country i think its something like 3 months!

The guards actually properly mentor the prisoners and spend a significant amount of time with them, the inmates also have essentially a proper working day so they are being productive.

I'm with CC in thinking that this country is too far set in it's ways or afraid to try anything as revolutionary as the Norwegians. I personally believe that if you continue to treat someone as scum, treat them like animals and deny them the means to make better of themselves then you will get nowhere but if you start to believe in someones potential and give them the opportunities to change, with the right guidance and environment they can become a decent human being.

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Hi Debs,  A You Tube guy called Thoughty2 put a similar video out a year or two ago, I think I posted a link to that on here. Sadly I dont think this country is at all interested in rehabilitation in anyway. Wouldnt get votes you know, neither are they interested in publicising or paying any attention to what offences actually have low or high recidivism rates. I had to use a solicitor to even get onto my course otherwise I would have been released without doing one! Thats how much they care. Could Unlock publish recidivism rates by offence I wonder?  After release I had zero help and had to "sort myself "out.
I know Im far from being alone in this in fact Boris Johnson has recently stated that if he gets his own way violent and sex offenders wont be eligible for early release. How will that affect inmates willingness to complete courses I wonder?
I dont believe in the rehabilitation fairy.
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)Supreme Being (133K reputation)

Not sure whether you've seen this but it makes interesting reading. Think our government could learn a thing or to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48885846

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO