theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Is it likely that an abh conviction will ever be filtered?

Is it likely that an abh conviction will ever be filtered?

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)Supreme Being (81K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Leigh - 26 Aug 19 10:16 PM
I was convicted of ABH back in 2003 and although the conviction is now spent, it is not eligible for DBS filtering and currently never will be? Do you think there's any real chance this may one day change or am I dreaming!? 

According to the information on Unlock here https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-cautions-convictions/#offencesnotfiltered , ABH is not eligible for filtering.

You never know whether the situation might change in the future, but currently, it unfortunately will never be filtered, even if the conviction is spent.

It shouldn't affect you if you are not working (or looking for work) in a job that requires a standard or enhanced DBS check. The offence will not show up on a basic DBS check.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

Leigh - 26 Aug 19 10:16 PM
I was convicted of ABH back in 2003 and although the conviction is now spent, it is not eligible for DBS filtering and currently never will be? Do you think there's any real chance this may one day change or am I dreaming!? 

Well, apparently there was a consultation on whether any offences should be removed from the list of offences that will not be filtered, and they came up with just one. Apparently, it was "assaulting officer preserving wreck", which doesn't fill me with hope. The Supreme Court ruling didn't mention the list of offences, even though the threshold of ABH has changed over the years. The attitude of the previous Home Secretary and Justice Secretary gave grounds for cautious hope, but that seem to have evaporated now. Sad Angry

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Leigh
Leigh
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)Supreme Being (969 reputation)

GO