theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Wescot doesn't want to stop...

Wescot doesn't want to stop...

Author
taylor941
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)Supreme Being (532 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
smith004 - 12 Nov 19 6:48 AM
Hi,

This Wescot called me saying you need to pay back what you owe, and I said over and over that I am not that person, yet they still keep calling. I would like to change my number but I can't because I have many contacts in my number.

I don't know what should I do to stop them from bothering me...

You can complain that wescot to the financial ombudsman. 

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

It is wise to check with the three main reference agencies and check your details. For example, despite splitting up with my ex- , she was still listed as having a financial connection despite us splitting up 14 years ago. However, separate to that, someone has falsely applied for credit and given my current address. They have never lived here. Although it is annoying, this has no effect on my credit rating. Credit reference checks follow the individual, not the address. 

If you genuinely are not the person being chased (see above about checking you don't have a financial connection) and they are harassing you, you can report them to the police. They also need to be licenced so you can report them to the relevant body if they continue once you have notified them and waited 28 days and got no response. It's the Civil Enforcement Association for bailiffs trying to collect Crown Court debts or the High Court Enforcement Officers' Association if they are High Court bailiffs.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Hi,

This Wescot called me saying you need to pay back what you owe, and I said over and over that I am not that person, yet they still keep calling. I would like to change my number but I can't because I have many contacts in my number.

Bailiffs and banks will not stop until it's sorted out, even in the case of a mistaken identity. It can make things extremely difficult, from as simple as getting a mobile phone contract to as important as buying a property or getting a loan. Your credit record can go "bad" without your knowledge through this kind of thing. There have been cases where owing £10 on a mobile phone bill 10 years ago has caused a house purchase to fall through.

This situation can often arise if someone in debt moves house but doesn't notify the creditor, then the innocent new occupier of the house gets hounded.

You can check your credit record for free online on Experian and a few others https://www.experian.co.uk/ . This should reassure you that you're not the debtor, or if you are in debt for any reason, it will give details.

Explaining that you are not that person will have no effect on these morons. Ask Wescot who the money is owed to, then contact that company as a priority to sort it out.

If you're unsure of anything or struggling, you can contact the Citizens' Advice Bureau or take a free 30 minutes with a solicitor.
Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Hi,

Well, abusive phone calls can be reported to your phone provider, and if they make threats you can even involve the police.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

smith004
smith004
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)Supreme Being (290 reputation)

Hi,

GO