theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SO applying for work as a film extra

SO applying for work as a film extra

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Harmless - 28 Jan 20 7:41 PM
Ok, so the extras agency have stipulated the following:

" Any programme or film that might engage a child and/or young person at some stage during the production in speaking or non-speaking roles. This includes productions which could have under 18s on set at any time as a result of last-minute changes to the schedule. " .. would require a basic DBS check from all participating extras.

Now, at first it stands to reason that you shouldn't have a child sex offender playing a father of 4 in a scene set in a school.

But here's the thing: I could be the only adult in town on the day and I'd still be disqualified.

If the production involves any children at any juncture (e.g. 17yo extra in Episode 6 set on Mars and you're an extra in Episode 1 set on Venus, so there's never any children in the same town as you during filming), you're still disqualified. If your entire job involves only adults, but the script (or at least the background context) calls for a child long after you've finished your bit and gone home (6 months later), a certain box is still ticked and you're disqualified.

So, adults-only pub scene in a soap opera - I'm ineligible if the same production includes a birth filmed miles away 6 months later.

The fact that it's only a basic check is a small mercy as my conviction will be spent in 18 months. But still,  it's one of those little blanket impertinences which form a bed other than the one I made for myself.

Hi
I understand your concerns and disappointingly, the "capture all" logic of them trying to protect themselves.
The CPS / Justice authorities unfortunately are the same - under the guise of public protection.

I did have a SOPO condition I managed to get removed -
Associating or communicating by any means whatsoever, either directly or indirectly, with any person who he knows to be a person convicted of any sexual offence,

Though I understand what they were attempting to do, my removal application stated that:
Firstly There were no evidential grounds for such a condition;
Secondly, this would stop my gaining any employment, involvement within social groups, as it would need the employer / organiser to break data protection and confidentiality laws due to it having to review all it employees / members and possibly informing me that though they would like to hire me or allow me to join but they could not due to already having sex offenders employed / as members

I know you understand the bigger picture in what they are trying to do but may I suggest you also understand that this is just another example of the unforgiving, uncompassionate, but misinformed, definitely misguided and scared society we belong to. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Ok, so the extras agency have stipulated the following:

" Any programme or film that might engage a child and/or young person at some stage during the production in speaking or non-speaking roles. This includes productions which could have under 18s on set at any time as a result of last-minute changes to the schedule. " .. would require a basic DBS check from all participating extras.

Now, at first it stands to reason that you shouldn't have a child sex offender playing a father of 4 in a scene set in a school.

But here's the thing: I could be the only adult in town on the day and I'd still be disqualified.

If the production involves any children at any juncture (e.g. 17yo extra in Episode 6 set on Mars and you're an extra in Episode 1 set on Venus, so there's never any children in the same town as you during filming), you're still disqualified. If your entire job involves only adults, but the script (or at least the background context) calls for a child long after you've finished your bit and gone home (6 months later), a certain box is still ticked and you're disqualified.

So, adults-only pub scene in a soap opera - I'm ineligible if the same production includes a birth filmed miles away 6 months later.

The fact that it's only a basic check is a small mercy as my conviction will be spent in 18 months. But still,  it's one of those little blanket impertinences which form a bed other than the one I made for myself.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Harmless
GO