theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Removal of a Court Order

Removal of a Court Order

Author
Jake
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi 
New to the form so not quite sure how this goes. I'm sure I will be guided in the right direction if not.

I have recently requested to have my order discharged and I contacted the court directly to see if I could do this on my own. I had a reply back from the judge stated "He is not minded to grant this discharge unless I requested for an Oral hearing". I have recently found out I can represent myself in court but have very little information to go on and so I am very unsure on how the process works. I have many questions like " what reports am I allowed to see and the do's and don'ts in court and above all how to represent myself in court?

I applied for this Oral hearing on 24/2/20 and not heard anything back as of today. How long does it usually take for the process from start to finish?

Jake.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Jake - 2 Mar 20 7:17 PM
Hi 
New to the form so not quite sure how this goes. I'm sure I will be guided in the right direction if not.

I have recently requested to have my order discharged and I contacted the court directly to see if I could do this on my own. I had a reply back from the judge stated "He is not minded to grant this discharge unless I requested for an Oral hearing". I have recently found out I can represent myself in court but have very little information to go on and so I am very unsure on how the process works. I have many questions like " what reports am I allowed to see and the do's and don'ts in court and above all how to represent myself in court?

I applied for this Oral hearing on 24/2/20 and not heard anything back as of today. How long does it usually take for the process from start to finish?

Jake.

I don't know how you would stand for disclosure of reports, etc., but Unlock has some general advice on what to include in your representations on their website here. As for do's and don'ts in court, just be polite and respectful, call the judge "Your Honour" and so on, but the court staff would be a better guide to what to do. When it comes to what not to do, you can always turn to Terry and June for a great example of how not to behave in court. Wink

The problem with oral hearings is that they have to be added to a long list, whereas if the judge had agreed to it being dealt with administratively (if the police have no objections), it wouldn't take up any court time and it would probably be all sorted out within a couple of weeks. They might be waiting to see if there's a cancellation in the offing.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 3 Mar 20 2:16 PM
Hi 

Jake.

I don't know how you would stand for disclosure of reports, etc., but Unlock has some general advice on what to include in your representations on their website here. As for do's and don'ts in court, just be polite and respectful, call the judge "Your Honour" and so on, but the court staff would be a better guide to what to do. When it comes to what not to do, you can always turn to Terry and June for a great example of how not to behave in court. Wink

The problem with oral hearings is that they have to be added to a long list, whereas if the judge had agreed to it being dealt with administratively (if the police have no objections), it wouldn't take up any court time and it would probably be all sorted out within a couple of weeks. They might be waiting to see if there's a cancellation in the offing.

Hi AB2014, glad to hear your better.
Just a point on your words. I recently posted how my Court Judges have decided that "all" applications for SOPO/SHOP amendments etc are to be heard in open Court with no media restrictions. It does not matter if the Police agree with your application or not. The Court officials told me more - if not all -  Courts will be following this line. 
How I found out:
My last SOPO amendment application I undertook with no representation as the Police agreed with the request. I wrote a letter giving reasons, evidence etc to the Judge on advice of the Court Officials. The officials would contact the PPU for their thoughts whether inside or out of the 5 year rule but I included an email response stating their agreement with my evidence. As my last application was held in Chambers I expected the same this time but I pulled my application due to the change in policy by the Court and the possibility of my new identity being published. I will reapply when they agree to remove my SOR so only risking media intrusion once.

As far as dates for appearing - and as you mentioned- it all depends on the workload. In my case I was given one within a month.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

JASB - 3 Mar 20 3:17 PM
Hi 

Jake.

Just a point on your words. I recently posted how my Court Judges have decided that "all" applications for SOPO/SHOP amendments etc are to be heard in open Court with no media restrictions. It does not matter if the Police agree with your application or not. The Court officials told me more - if not all -  Courts will be following this line. 
How I found out:
My last SOPO amendment application I undertook with no representation as the Police agreed with the request. I wrote a letter giving reasons, evidence etc to the Judge on advice of the Court Officials. The officials would contact the PPU for their thoughts whether inside or out of the 5 year rule but I included an email response stating their agreement with my evidence. As my last application was held in Chambers I expected the same this time but I pulled my application due to the change in policy by the Court and the possibility of my new identity being published. I will reapply when they agree to remove my SOR so only risking media intrusion once.

As far as dates for appearing - and as you mentioned- it all depends on the workload. In my case I was given one within a month.

I do remember you posting that, and it does seem to be becoming more of a thing these days. The last time I discussed this with Unlock, they said that people were still able to get it done In Chambers, which would exclude everyone but the parties involved. Of course, if the police oppose your application, that won't happen. If they don't oppose it, that may improve the odds in your favour.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Jake
Jake
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)Supreme Being (824 reputation)

Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

Not sure what SOR means? On what the recent posts have been saying, is it to my understanding that the application can be heard in open court with media present? How would the media deal with it and where would it be published? As I have a new identity how will this effect me and if so, what can I do to mitigate these effects?

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

AB2014 - 3 Mar 20 4:13 PM
Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

I do remember you posting that, and it does seem to be becoming more of a thing these days. The last time I discussed this with Unlock, they said that people were still able to get it done In Chambers, which would exclude everyone but the parties involved. Of course, if the police oppose your application, that won't happen. If they don't oppose it, that may improve the odds in your favour.

Hi AB2014
My first application was supported by the PPU and ended up in Chambers as you state. My second application was also supported by the PPU but the Courts Judges policy had changed as I mentioned and so was to be heard in open Court.
My concern is that the information provided to me suggests all Courts will now/soon align with this practice.
I hope I am wrong but I know when I apply for final SOPO and SOR removal I will be in open Court and risk the obvious consequences.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Jake - 3 Mar 20 8:02 PM
Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

Not sure what SOR means? On what the recent posts have been saying, is it to my understanding that the application can be heard in open court with media present? How would the media deal with it and where would it be published? As I have a new identity how will this effect me and if so, what can I do to mitigate these effects?

Hi
SOR is "Sex Offenders Register" - most people convicted of a sex offence are placed on this and so have further monitoring requirements placed on them.
As I do not know how long ago it was that you offended or if other events will take headline priority, no one can say what the media will do.
The chamber hearing was my hope but now it is hoping that other events will divert attention away, that is selfish and I hope it is not a human disaster that aids this hope.

At worse it could possibly be in the local paper,on an internal page but I stress everything depends on my previous words. Preparing a statement to the Judge which includes your concerns over this may gain some support: especially if your PPU agreed with your concerns? Maybe others know of a solution otherwise I would take legal advice if you have the money.

The issue of your new identity being revealed is why I raised the topic previously and mentioned it in this and other replies.
In simple terms I am confused why the Justice system wishes to persecute further someone who has the support of the PPU and proven they have rehabilitated.
I have relocated, created a new identity, distanced family and friends in various ways so what "public protection" strategy is maintained by my possibly having to repeat these actions. 

I wish you luck and please let us know how it goes.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

JASB - 4 Mar 20 1:47 PM
Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

Hi AB2014
My first application was supported by the PPU and ended up in Chambers as you state. My second application was also supported by the PPU but the Courts Judges policy had changed as I mentioned and so was to be heard in open Court.
My concern is that the information provided to me suggests all Courts will now/soon align with this practice.
I hope I am wrong but I know when I apply for final SOPO and SOR removal I will be in open Court and risk the obvious consequences.

When you apply to be removed from the SOR, you apply to the police and the courts aren't involved. Of course, if the police refuse your application, you could appeal through the courts, but I'm guessing it would be via judicial review, and I'm also guessing the police would make sure all their paperwork is in order....

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 5 Mar 20 9:25 AM
JASB - 4 Mar 20 1:47 PM
Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

Hi AB2014

When you apply to be removed from the SOR, you apply to the police and the courts aren't involved. Of course, if the police refuse your application, you could appeal through the courts, but I'm guessing it would be via judicial review, and I'm also guessing the police would make sure all their paperwork is in order....

Hi
Thanks for the details.
Whenever someone mentions the Police and paperwork I smile as quite often they have told me they do not have time to read any historical documents so just rely on the conviction documents and do their own risk assessment. lol
Various time I have had to produce the factual docs to prove something they had wrong. i.e. length of time on SOR and dates when I was sent to Prison etc 
That's life I suppose.

Jake
Jake
Supreme Being

JASB - 4 Mar 20 2:08 PM
Jake - 3 Mar 20 8:02 PM
Hi 

Jake.

How I found out:

Hi
SOR is "Sex Offenders Register" - most people convicted of a sex offence are placed on this and so have further monitoring requirements placed on them.
As I do not know how long ago it was that you offended or if other events will take headline priority, no one can say what the media will do.
The chamber hearing was my hope but now it is hoping that other events will divert attention away, that is selfish and I hope it is not a human disaster that aids this hope.

At worse it could possibly be in the local paper,on an internal page but I stress everything depends on my previous words. Preparing a statement to the Judge which includes your concerns over this may gain some support: especially if your PPU agreed with your concerns? Maybe others know of a solution otherwise I would take legal advice if you have the money.

The issue of your new identity being revealed is why I raised the topic previously and mentioned it in this and other replies.
In simple terms I am confused why the Justice system wishes to persecute further someone who has the support of the PPU and proven they have rehabilitated.
I have relocated, created a new identity, distanced family and friends in various ways so what "public protection" strategy is maintained by my possibly having to repeat these actions. 

I wish you luck and please let us know how it goes.

Many thanks for this.
I too have done exactly the same in terms of self protection. I guess why the courts are going for open court is possibly to ensure that everyone who needs to know knows about you including victims family. The other is to negate your new identity so it can be published on the net, so again to ensure the public have the right to know or for those who want to check you out. I can't see the rehabilitative logic to that and it is the only explanation I can come up with. It's doing the monitoring of the PPU and the right for the public to know by the back door, a cheap way of ensuring public protection for the public. 
Of  course this is not right and not fair, it kills off any chance of rehabilitation especially if you were released a long time ago. It makes rehabilitation meaningless and a second chance a dirty word. In the eyes of the general public sex offenders are the scum of the earth and sadly to the very many should be treated as such. Winston Churchill once advocated that you judge the kindness and fairness of a nation by the why that nation treats its prisoners (as he was once a prisoner war and there is no difference in the incarceration), I guess UK won't do well in that league. Unfortunately culture and ignorance is to blame for this attitude. 

GO