theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Question - Can a future employer force me to request a basic dbs check and hand over the results

Question - Can a future employer force me to request a basic dbs check...

Author
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am confused about DBS checks and have a couple of questions

1 can an employer carry out a basic DBS check on myself for any role
2 can they request that I carry out a basic check  (= force me by stating I wont get the job unless I do ) and hand over the results.

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Rufus - 29 Mar 20 1:31 PM
I am confused about DBS checks and have a couple of questions

1 can an employer carry out a basic DBS check on myself for any role
2 can they request that I carry out a basic check  (= force me by stating I wont get the job unless I do ) and hand over the results.

They cannot carry out a DBS check without your permission.  Even if you give permission, the certificate should be sent to you first (you can then decide whether to share with the employer or not).

Yes, any employer can make it a condition of their job offer that you undertake a basic level check and 'pass'. Unfortunately, it is up to the employer to decide what 'pass' actually means. A good employer will publish their policy on hiring people with prior convictions.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Yankee is correct, as part of normal recruitment procedure most companies now undertake a basic DBS as part of there back ground checks.

The DBS will come direct to you unless you gave authority for the DBS to go direct to the employer. One thing to keep in mind even if you don’t give permission for the DBS to go direct to your employer, if they are using an umbrella organisation like Experian then Experian send them an email that there is something on the DBS that they should check (ie the DBS is not clear) before offer of employment is confirmed, they don’t say what it is, just that something is on there.

all the best 

GO