theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Small intro + SHPO advice

Small intro + SHPO advice

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Quick point to make, there's a few of us here, imagine if everyone who had a SHPO joined this forum, it would explode just like our brains trying to work out what all of these wordings mean. Shambles of a system which is ruining our lives even further.

From a personal point of view, as I said to someone else who was asked voluntarily to have a lie detector test, if I was asked to have monitoring software I'd absolutely say no to both. Here's why...
Lie detectors are being rolled out on the quiet now after the 'successful trial with certain offenders' which no doubt our comrade on this forum was probably unaware being part of. And, as is documented on this forum, it's brought a whole new raft of problems to sort after going through what has already been a tough ordeal. Add to that, of course, the Jeremy Kyle guest's suicide was after a lie detector test which is tragic moreso when they're not 100% correct (...just what IF that test was wrong?). And know that one thread of their use is to apply mental pressure to a confession before the test starts. Police tactic or more mental abuse? Haven't quite figured that one out yet.
Agreeing to monitoring software will probably go the same way and, I believe, would play a part in more suicides. Eg. If one has a relapse, 'one last fling' knowing it's on the monitoring software and then off to the bath with the toaster before the second knock on the door. These systems offer nothing but constant relentless fear even when you are fully compliant.

The answer is rehabilitation, it's just that no-one knows (or cares?) what that looks like.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Morning mr W 

I agree, I read with interest the other day that polygraph has not only now been brought in for terrorist case convictions but there is now a 3 year trial for all people convicted of domestic abuse.

and there is no over sight, if you look at the current policy for polygraph testing of sex offenders the last time it was updated was 2015 thats 5 yrs ago, which is ridiculous considering the damage this untested and dangerous contraption Can have on a person.

there is a reason we don’t use them in a court of law in this country they are unreliable  

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Mr W - 12 Jun 20 4:07 AM
These systems offer nothing but constant relentless fear even when you do nothing wrong.

I was asked once why I had performed an internet search for "child". Because I work in paranoid mode and assume that they are reading everything I post (including this!) I not only do not delete any internet history on my monitored PC (which would be allowed) but I use Microsoft Edge and have all my devices linked to a shared account which preserves that data in the cloud as well to protect myself. My investigation revealed that I had actually searched for "child of light" two months previously which is an album by Couer De Pirate, but it's a good example of how and what they monitor. (and I've probably just triggered it again!)

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Was - 12 Jun 20 9:36 AM
Mr W - 12 Jun 20 4:07 AM
These systems offer nothing but constant relentless fear even when you do nothing wrong.

I was asked once why I had performed an internet search for "child". Because I work in paranoid mode and assume that they are reading everything I post (including this!) I not only do not delete any internet history on my monitored PC (which would be allowed) but I use Microsoft Edge and have all my devices linked to a shared account which preserves that data in the cloud as well to protect myself. My investigation revealed that I had actually searched for "child of light" two months previously which is an album by Couer De Pirate, but it's a good example of how and what they monitor. (and I've probably just triggered it again!)

That is ridiculous, They may as well be ordering you to have a key logger on your system and have them read literally everything you type. How long are you expected to continue having this monitoring software and was it actually ordered upon you from court? And could you not apply to remove the order?

I agree with whats been said about lie detectors, I actually watched the full video about the Jeremy Kyle incident and I was shocked the producers could not answer the questions. In the end they said their tests were only 66% accurate and that Jeremy himself was a true believer of the results. I was very mixed with the show as he has helped a lot of people but when it comes to the lie detector results he just lashes out with out any consideration, glad the show ended as it was just demoralizing.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Simon1983 - 12 Jun 20 5:25 AM
Morning mr W 

I agree, I read with interest the other day that polygraph has not only now been brought in for terrorist case convictions but there is now a 3 year trial for all people convicted of domestic abuse.

and there is no over sight, if you look at the current policy for polygraph testing of sex offenders the last time it was updated was 2015 thats 5 yrs ago, which is ridiculous considering the damage this untested and dangerous contraption Can have on a person.

there is a reason we don’t use them in a court of law in this country they are unreliable  

Exactly, and when the message of a 'successful trial' is spread as a reason to expand their use, it creates a feeling among the passive society that they ARE reliable/useful/they work when in reality nothing has changed and they're still just as unreliable as before. These things need challenging and for whatever reason, I'm not seeing it.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

xDanx - 12 Jun 20 10:23 AM

That is ridiculous, They may as well be ordering you to have a key logger on your system and have them read literally everything you type. How long are you expected to continue having this monitoring software and was it actually ordered upon you from court? And could you not apply to remove the order?

I was told it was a key logger and I assume they do read everything I type and know every site I visit. It makes my life a lot simpler - although simple data logistics would dictate that the amount of data would be too much to read even if it is machine processed. My SHPO says Monitoring Software OR on devices it can't be installed, not to delete internet history. It does not proscribe any particular software or features, so they are free to pick and chose what they want. In my case it is called Guardware. I have not even dared look up the technical details, lest they suggest I am trying to find ways to circumvent it.

It's completely inconsistent though. I have been allowed to have Amazon FireTV sticks. They have browsers built in. They have never been examined. They would be very disappointed though as all they would find is links to the FA Player.

Confucius, he say: “The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm."

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Hi Was, 

You made me think there as well, PPU look over my phone and iPad yearly, would never look over my work laptop because of data protection, and your answer above just made be think they never check the Smart TV or other media devices in my flat, again they would be disappointed as i dont use them to web browse.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Was - 12 Jun 20 2:32 PM
xDanx - 12 Jun 20 10:23 AM

I was told it was a key logger and I assume they do read everything I type and know every site I visit. It makes my life a lot simpler - although simple data logistics would dictate that the amount of data would be too much to read even if it is machine processed. My SHPO says Monitoring Software OR on devices it can't be installed, not to delete internet history. It does not proscribe any particular software or features, so they are free to pick and chose what they want. In my case it is called Guardware. I have not even dared look up the technical details, lest they suggest I am trying to find ways to circumvent it.

It's completely inconsistent though. I have been allowed to have Amazon FireTV sticks. They have browsers built in. They have never been examined. They would be very disappointed though as all they would find is links to the FA Player.

Confucius, he say: “The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm."

I would get in touch with a solicitor and question your orders, If their role is to monitor your internet history they have no business accessing your personal information or seeing everything you type. That's the information I was told from a legal advisor I spoke to previously, however she never contacted me back to give me actual confirmation on that from her boss. In my view and as I mentioned before this is a breach of article 8 of the human rights, not only that but if the software becomes compromised it would then be a breach in data protection, your data. Everything about how the police function is wrong. You see people out there being sentenced for dishonesty yet the whole system is entirely based on dishonesty.

Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Hi, i have a SHPO too but it's worded a bit differently to yours. My terms are that i can only use an internet enabled device so long as it is able to record internet browsing history and to not delete browsing history and also make such devices available for inspection when requested. Which is fine by me, I also have monitoring software on my PC but not on my phone since it is not available for Android, either way both devices have complete browsing history . It says nothing about 'files' individually and i'm surprised that yours is worded as such since using a Computer or a smart phone files will get deleted for example during system updates or you uninstall a game and install a new one.

Would be much better if the same monitoring software was available for smart phones too, then everything is recorded automatically. The one i have on my PC records every key stroke. At least yours has a time limit, mine is for an indefinite period so god knows when that will finish, i'm hoping when 5 years is up which is not far off that i can get it amended or de-activated to be in line with the sentencing guidelines relative to a 3 year community order which i completed some time ago and finished with probation. The guidelines for a 3 year community order ie: non custodial sentence is 5 years on the SOR but having an indefinite SHPO means the SOR length is also indefinite which to be honest i think is overkill and should be reserved only for the most dangerous and ill minded individuals who are not receptive to treatment or unable to recognize the harm in what they did.

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being

Thorswrath - 12 Jun 20 4:46 PM
Hi, i have a SHPO too but it's worded a bit differently to yours. My terms are that i can only use an internet enabled device so long as it is able to record internet browsing history and to not delete browsing history and also make such devices available for inspection when requested. Which is fine by me, I also have monitoring software on my PC but not on my phone since it is not available for Android, either way both devices have complete browsing history . It says nothing about 'files' individually and i'm surprised that yours is worded as such since using a Computer or a smart phone files will get deleted for example during system updates or you uninstall a game and install a new one.

Would be much better if the same monitoring software was available for smart phones too, then everything is recorded automatically. The one i have on my PC records every key stroke. At least yours has a time limit, mine is for an indefinite period so god knows when that will finish, i'm hoping when 5 years is up which is not far off that i can get it amended or de-activated to be in line with the sentencing guidelines relative to a 3 year community order which i completed some time ago and finished with probation. The guidelines for a 3 year community order ie: non custodial sentence is 5 years on the SOR but having an indefinite SHPO means the SOR length is also indefinite which to be honest i think is overkill and should be reserved only for the most dangerous and ill minded individuals who are not receptive to treatment or unable to recognize the harm in what they did.

I basically have to 'ask' for permission to do anything when it comes to my devices, whether it be something I have installed and no longer wish to use, ppu want me to call or text and then I have to wait till they visit to remove it. Again a misinterpretation of the actual order to give ppu every bit of control possible. I have read in to some of these guidelines myself over the past few weeks, my head hurts at how much of it all the courts, police all ignore it. To get 5 years on SOR but indefinite SHPO which then makes SOR indefinite makes absolutely no sense. I am sure if you challenged this you would most likely win. Plus after 5 years have past you no longer need permission from the police to apply to vary or discharge your order and this is covered by legal aid. Soon as I have more information I will be making an application myself. Followed by many complaints

GO