theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Success Story - Drug dealer to Uni - my reply not posted by Disqus why??

Success Story - Drug dealer to Uni - my reply not posted by Disqus...

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
punter99 - 1 Sep 20 4:54 PM
JASB - 1 Sep 20 2:04 PM

Dear All,
Circa end of July I read the following article - https://www.the-record.org.uk/unlock-people-with-convictions/no-challenge-no-change-from-drug-dealer-to-university-student/
in the success stories of The Record.
I will always be one of the first to praise anyone who succeeds and changes the "justice system" attempt to dictate a future on an ex-offender; no matter their offence. However I will also point out scenarios were i see inconsistencies in the manner of interface between the system and society towards ex-offenders; in this case the acceptance of an ex drug dealer and the demeaning of ex sex offenders.

My words below I have attempted to post twice within the record, but they have never been approved for publication against the article, though others have and my subsequent posts on other subjects have?

Anyway the point my words below to the person attempted to raise, are not one of attacking or to minimize the gents educational success but the asking of the following question:

How can someone who admits the manipulation of children not be deemed a danger to them, and so not on a register or monitored in the same manner as an ex sex offender?

If you consider all the "linking of possibilities" that the system and society undertake analysis over when imposing punishment on an ex sex offender; especially in SOPO's / SHPO's conditions, then why did the same out of the box thinking not be focused on the admissions of this type of offence?

As I wrote, I am not attacking him but I have to raise the question.
Also if anyone can offer reasons why my reply to the article is still in pending though other replies have been posted I would receive them quite happily. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
Hi Devon,

First though I will not apologize for my words however please know there are meant to describe a confusion I have about the Justice System and society and not your persistence to gain recognition of rehabilitation which I do applaud.

My offence is for paying for sexual services of a female under the age of 18 yrs old. It was recognised that I did not know the females true age, there was no violence, grooming or anything that might suggest I had coerced the female. However, I do accept full responsibility of being selfish and not questioning the circumstances of the female concerned and pleaded guilty at interview. Any mitigation evidence; which there was, was not presented as I did not wish to put the female through a trial.

I am now on the sex register for life, or until I attempt and hopefully succeed at an appeal. Prior to, during and after my incarceration I have been psychologically assessed and found not suitable for any format of sex offender course.

I have applied for over 2000 roles and those offered to me were rescinded once a declaration was given. My attempt to undertake formal educational or skill training is also refused after declaration.

My offence was as described and was recognised as fully consensual though I now know illegal. I have found the system's and societies behaviour towards those convicted of a sex offence has and does discriminate, alienate and threaten with acts of violence. Even whilst you and I was incarcerated, you will know of the treatment given to persons of my offence not only by officers but also inmates convicted of other types of offences.

I again stress not to take my words personally but purely my using your offence as a reference.

In writing about your offence you fully admit to coercing children by various means which takes courage and recognition of past failings. I am not accusing you of any sexual acts with the children as only you and the child will know if that occured.

I now come to the point of my confusion with the Justice System and society.

The details of your offence demonstrate you did not have any consideration to the well being of the child(s). You coerced both them and their parents by any means to fulfill your personal aims and possible desires for a better lifestyle; it could be said at any cost.

Yet the system and society do not deem it appropriate for an individual committing your type of offence, to be placed on a "register", repeated monitored and questioned in a derogatory and regressive manner that does not allow you to be considered as "rehabilitated"!

As I said at the start, I do honestly applaud your recognition of your past and drive to gain a more positive future. All I ask is that you think about offering support to those whose offence involves someone that is classed as a "child".

I know this will have a certain reaction from some readers but I do ask those readers to widen their perspective and so understanding that just because a sex offence happens, it does not mean the individuals are all the same. More importantly consider on how they perceive offenders of certain offences such as yours.

Good luck with your future aims.

Disqus has a restricted word filter. Most likely you have used a restricted word in your comments

Hi

I did think it could of been quotes as their help mentions that but the text is as you see so strange.
I can't find a way to question disqus. Also strange that though the comment is still listed under my disque profile, under my TheRecord profile it is no longer been shown as "pending?"

Anyway your thoughts on the underlying question about register for these type of offenders?

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 1 Sep 20 2:04 PM

Dear All,
Circa end of July I read the following article - https://www.the-record.org.uk/unlock-people-with-convictions/no-challenge-no-change-from-drug-dealer-to-university-student/
I will always be one of the first to praise anyone who succeeds and changes the "justice system" attempt to dictate a future on an ex-offender; no matter their offence. However I will also point out scenarios were i see inconsistencies in the manner of interface between the system and society towards ex-offenders; in this case the acceptance of an ex drug dealer and the demeaning of ex sex offenders.

My words below I have attempted to post twice within the record, but they have never been approved for publication against the article, though others have and my subsequent posts on other subjects have?

Anyway the point my words below to the person attempted to raise, are not one of attacking or to minimize the gents educational success but the asking of the following question:

How can someone who admits the manipulation of children not be deemed a danger to them, and so not on a register or monitored in the same manner as an ex sex offender?

If you consider all the "linking of possibilities" that the system and society undertake analysis over when imposing punishment on an ex sex offender; especially in SOPO's / SHPO's conditions, then why did the same out of the box thinking not be focused on the admissions of this type of offence?

Also if anyone can offer reasons why my reply to the article is still in pending though other replies have been posted I would receive them quite happily. 

Hi Devon,

First though I will not apologize for my words however please know there are meant to describe a confusion I have about the Justice System and society and not your persistence to gain recognition of rehabilitation which I do applaud.

My offence is for paying for sexual services of a female under the age of 18 yrs old. It was recognised that I did not know the females true age, there was no violence, grooming or anything that might suggest I had coerced the female. However, I do accept full responsibility of being selfish and not questioning the circumstances of the female concerned and pleaded guilty at interview. Any mitigation evidence; which there was, was not presented as I did not wish to put the female through a trial.

I am now on the sex register for life, or until I attempt and hopefully succeed at an appeal. Prior to, during and after my incarceration I have been psychologically assessed and found not suitable for any format of sex offender course.

I have applied for over 2000 roles and those offered to me were rescinded once a declaration was given. My attempt to undertake formal educational or skill training is also refused after declaration.

My offence was as described and was recognised as fully consensual though I now know illegal. I have found the system's and societies behaviour towards those convicted of a sex offence has and does discriminate, alienate and threaten with acts of violence. Even whilst you and I was incarcerated, you will know of the treatment given to persons of my offence not only by officers but also inmates convicted of other types of offences.

I again stress not to take my words personally but purely my using your offence as a reference.

In writing about your offence you fully admit to coercing children by various means which takes courage and recognition of past failings. I am not accusing you of any sexual acts with the children as only you and the child will know if that occured.

The details of your offence demonstrate you did not have any consideration to the well being of the child(s). You coerced both them and their parents by any means to fulfill your personal aims and possible desires for a better lifestyle; it could be said at any cost.

Yet the system and society do not deem it appropriate for an individual committing your type of offence, to be placed on a "register", repeated monitored and questioned in a derogatory and regressive manner that does not allow you to be considered as "rehabilitated"!

As I said at the start, I do honestly applaud your recognition of your past and drive to gain a more positive future. All I ask is that you think about offering support to those whose offence involves someone that is classed as a "child".

I know this will have a certain reaction from some readers but I do ask those readers to widen their perspective and so understanding that just because a sex offence happens, it does not mean the individuals are all the same. More importantly consider on how they perceive offenders of certain offences such as yours.

Disqus has a restricted word filter. Most likely you have used a restricted word in your comments

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Dear All,

Hi Devon,

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO