theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Job Hunting

Job Hunting

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 7 Oct 20 5:09 PM
JASB - 7 Oct 20 2:56 PM
AB2014 - 7 Oct 20 11:47 AM
JASB - 6 Oct 20 5:55 PM
jcdmcr - 5 Oct 20 6:49 PM
Is it me or are the job boards specifically totaljobs drying up with even the basic jobs. I was hoping to find something in the hospitality sector, but even thats dried up....

Anyone else with similar experiences ?

Hi

Due to the obvious I believe employment roles are becoming less. However you also have to be aware that sites and various agencies will be posting to either:
(a) remind searches they are still there and give the appearance of being a favorite of business;
(b) agencies know there is a large data collection opportunity now. In other words they collect your CV and record your details for the future when true roles will become available. This also enables them to advertise they have a database of XX millions looking for role opportunities.   

With recruiting / HR experience I would suggest you set up your own system of recording data on agencies and businesses contact details so you can attach applications to those records so you can CALL them if no reply is received.

Quite simple to do in excel, unless you are tracking corvid contacts.

Good luck

It does look like more and more jobs are being filled via recruitment agencies, who don't like people with unspent convictions, with a few notable exceptions. I've actually noticed more jobs advertised in my local area, but I suffer from the incurable disease of being older than they want, so I don't get a look-in without having to worry about my criminal record. Yes, I know age discrimination is unlawful, but I still get double-takes when I walk in. Generally speaking, I don't hear any more after the interview, but on the two occasions I was actually offered a job, disclosure made a difference, and not a positive one.

Hi AB2014,

We suffer a similar twisted fate due to our errors.
More grey hairs than coloured, 2000 applications, 5 offers rescinded on declaration lost count of how many when disclosed to the agency, so many non returned calls yet PPU still question why I have not gained employment. 
The reason I mentioned the recording etc in my previous post is because I do/did that as it shows evidence of my proactiveness and rejection- when replied to.

However if asked I do say I volunteer to support others struggling with that effects of a society that does not believe in rehabilitation. this often instigates a discussion which you know I love to do.

Take care.

I volunteer to support others struggling with that effects of a society that does not believe in rehabilitation.

*Applauds* I might steal this line. Not sure I'm helpful, but I do dedicate some time here and try to.

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but do look at methods of work that you can do on your computer, I've not disclosed once to any of the people who've paid me to do a job. There's absolutely no reason to - They need something doing, I can do it, they pay me, everyone's happy.
This whole 'work from home' could work in our favour too - a conversation needs to be had re: disclosure and taking a "work from home" job on.

Hi Mr W

Hope it does provide assistance for you.
Please never think your inputs are not useful. Every word posted and read has a meaning to someone. I write so many in the hope as the stats indicate thats a better chance to at least find one reader who can relate to  it. SmileSmile

Seriously keep posting.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 7 Oct 20 2:56 PM
Is it me or are the job boards specifically totaljobs drying up with even the basic jobs. I was hoping to find something in the hospitality sector, but even thats dried up....

Hi

Due to the obvious I believe employment roles are becoming less. However you also have to be aware that sites and various agencies will be posting to either:
(a) remind searches they are still there and give the appearance of being a favorite of business;
(b) agencies know there is a large data collection opportunity now. In other words they collect your CV and record your details for the future when true roles will become available. This also enables them to advertise they have a database of XX millions looking for role opportunities.   

With recruiting / HR experience I would suggest you set up your own system of recording data on agencies and businesses contact details so you can attach applications to those records so you can CALL them if no reply is received.

Good luck

It does look like more and more jobs are being filled via recruitment agencies, who don't like people with unspent convictions, with a few notable exceptions. I've actually noticed more jobs advertised in my local area, but I suffer from the incurable disease of being older than they want, so I don't get a look-in without having to worry about my criminal record. Yes, I know age discrimination is unlawful, but I still get double-takes when I walk in. Generally speaking, I don't hear any more after the interview, but on the two occasions I was actually offered a job, disclosure made a difference, and not a positive one.

Hi AB2014,

More grey hairs than coloured, 2000 applications, 5 offers rescinded on declaration lost count of how many when disclosed to the agency, so many non returned calls yet PPU still question why I have not gained employment. 
The reason I mentioned the recording etc in my previous post is because I do/did that as it shows evidence of my proactiveness and rejection- when replied to.

However if asked I do say I volunteer to support others struggling with that effects of a society that does not believe in rehabilitation. this often instigates a discussion which you know I love to do.

Take care.

I volunteer to support others struggling with that effects of a society that does not believe in rehabilitation.

*Applauds* I might steal this line. Not sure I'm helpful, but I do dedicate some time here and try to be.

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but do look at methods of work that you can do on your computer, I've not disclosed once to any of the people who've paid me to do a job. There's absolutely no reason to - They need something doing, I can do it, they pay me, everyone's happy.
This whole 'work from home' could work in our favour too - a conversation needs to be had re: disclosure and taking a "work from home" job on.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Hi

Good luck

Hi AB2014,

Take care.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Hi

Good luck

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi

Good luck

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

I use a lot of the main hitters, Indeed, Monster, S1 Jobs and the Job Centre one (mainly because I feel obliged to). There hasn't been a new, relevant job posting in my town on any of those sites for nearly 2 weeks... The most recent job I've found that isn't some big, £180k p.a off shore oil and gas engineer was posted on 24th of September.

Looking forward to getting my sanction from the job centre for not applying to enough!

J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

GO