theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Living on my own on a barge with a S.O?

Living on my own on a barge with a S.O?

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Wondered if anyone knows much about  being able to do this?
I have a SOPO for indecent images and wondered about any info on barge living.

Thanks.
lotsofquer
lotsofquer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)

JamesZ - 3 Dec 20 9:55 PM

Thanks.

Unless your SOPO specifically forbids it (either directly or by way of the area the barge is in or another method) then you're fine to go ahead and do it.

Was there something specific you wanted to know about living on a barge or on your own? It wasn't clear exactly what you were asking (although I've assumed from the restriction angle in my response above)?

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

lotsofquer - 3 Dec 20 10:06 PM

Thanks.

Unless your SOPO specifically forbids it (either directly or by way of the area the barge is in or another method) then you're fine to go ahead and do it.

Was there something specific you wanted to know about living on a barge or on your own? It wasn't clear exactly what you were asking (although I've assumed from the restriction angle in my response above)?

Thanks. Yeah I was just wondering about any paperwork/background checks etc that could cause problems from owners of the canals/marinas. Thanks
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
JamesZ - 4 Dec 20 12:42 AM

Thanks.

Thanks. Yeah I was just wondering about any paperwork/background checks etc that could cause problems from owners of the canals/marinas. Thanks

Hi
Given no conditions against you in your SOPO then you would have to understand where the Police Stations are that you can go and register each week; if the boat is moveable and you will be travelling that is.
My scenario works on what I was informed by a PPU when I considered it as it is classed as a non-permanent address, Think of it with the understanding you cannot register an address you do not permanently reside at, as it is not the building as such it is the location the building is on that is permanent. A building can be removed and rebuilt so the address stays the same.

What has your PPU said to the concept; though if your conviction is fresh they may be cautious as they may feel they do not know you even to say anything else.

Interesting though.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

JASB - 4 Dec 20 6:35 PM

Thanks.

Hi
Given no conditions against you in your SOPO then you would have to understand where the Police Stations are that you can go and register each week; if the boat is moveable and you will be travelling that is.
My scenario works on what I was informed by a PPU when I considered it as it is classed as a non-permanent address, Think of it with the understanding you cannot register an address you do not permanently reside at, as it is not the building as such it is the location the building is on that is permanent. A building can be removed and rebuilt so the address stays the same.

What has your PPU said to the concept; though if your conviction is fresh they may be cautious as they may feel they do not know you even to say anything else.

Interesting though.

Thanks. My PPU Officer said it's okay. I would be worried about any background checks from the owners of the place though.
Would that be carried out?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

JamesZ - 4 Dec 20 9:39 PM

Thanks.

Hi

Interesting though.

Thanks. My PPU Officer said it's okay. I would be worried about any background checks from the owners of the place though.

Hi

Not sure I suppose it depends on facilities.
The only comparaison I can give is when I was buying a flat in a converted house. The leasehold agreement said you had to declare any criminal offences due to insurance companies clauses.

You could play the "thinking about renting a mooring" card and ask for the T&C's etc to ensure you have everything in place.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

JASB - 5 Dec 20 8:43 AM

Thanks.

Hi

Interesting though.

Hi

The only comparaison I can give is when I was buying a flat in a converted house. The leasehold agreement said you had to declare any criminal offences due to insurance companies clauses.

You could play the "thinking about renting a mooring" card and ask for the T&C's etc to ensure you have everything in place.

From my own experiences as either a hire boater or the guest of a boat owner, I wouldn't expect them to check. If you own the boat yourself, then they'll be more interested in your money and insurance. You can probably get insurance through a broker on Unlock's list here. If you're thinking of staying in one place, you shouldn't have any problems with the police, so long as you tell them if you're heading off boating for 7 days or more. If you're planning to be more mobile than that, then a discussion with your local police is probably what you should do first.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 7 Dec 20 2:55 PM
JASB - 5 Dec 20 8:43 AM

Thanks.

Hi

Interesting though.

Hi

From my own experiences as either a hire boater or the guest of a boat owner, I wouldn't expect them to check. If you own the boat yourself, then they'll be more interested in your money and insurance. You can probably get insurance through a broker on Unlock's list here. If you're thinking of staying in one place, you shouldn't have any problems with the police, so long as you tell them if you're heading off boating for 7 days or more. If you're planning to be more mobile than that, then a discussion with your local police is probably what you should do first.

Hi
I recognise your points, I suppose I was concentrating more on the "perm residence" aspect and it not meeting that requirement so having to register every 7 days. Just a consideration to be aware of.

Keep safe

GO