theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Working as a future doctor from another country and getting GMC registration in UK with possible...

Working as a future doctor from another country and getting GMC...

Author
Kris22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)Supreme Being (401 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi, so I will try to explain everything  before  asking my question. 
Few months  ago, my husband who is an alcoholic started  getting  abusive  to me , insulting  me and sometimes even  being physically abusive.
I was  trying to find an excuse for the man that I've  been together for 13 years,but honestly  things  were escalating  a lot when he was drinking,  is like  his whole behaviour  changed and sometimes  I couldn't  even recognise  him. So after a lot of arguments,  when I was feeling  like things  were escalating( he threw some things on my leg, gettung physical  and scaring me) and I couldn't  take it anymore  I called  the police because  we are not from the UK and I was scared  and worried that something  really  bad is gonna happen.
That day, unfortunately  it was my birthday and I spoke with someone  from the police  and they asked me if I want them to send someone just to visit  us but honestly  he was sleeping  then and because  of his execive  drinking having some  health problems with his liver,  I said that they don't  have to do that .

BuT next day we were having  an argument  again and I was crying and I was really  upset and I was sitting  on the sofa and he hit me on my leg, AT that moment iw as holding a hand cream and threw  that NOT on him but on the sofa, and what he did , called the police and told them that I'm  really upset and that I threw something  at him and he has a bruice  on his face( a bruice  that he had from few days ago when he was in a bas trying  to separate  friends  from getting  into a fight. 
So the police  came, took me into  the police  station  and questioned me, I told them that yes I threw the cream but not to him  and without  intention to harm  him  ,only because  I got scared  at the moment.
So , now they are still investigating  and my solicitor  told me they are looking to maybe give me a caution because  even if I didn't  hit him throwing  a hand cream that you're  holding  when you're  scared can be ana act of violence.
I'm  a doctor, I don't  work as a doctor yet and don't  have GMC registration  yet.

But I just want  to know experience  with someone  ,possibly  a doctor , with caution( I still don't  have it at the moment,but maybe I will), getting GMC registration  and getting  a job as a doctor  with caution.
I just want to know if with this I'm  actually  losing  my future here and if there is a point for me staying  in UK if I'm  not gonna be able to work in healthcare  ever.
Sorry for the long post , and thank you for your answer
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Kris22 - 8 Jan 22 5:24 PM
Hi, so I will try to explain everything  before  asking my question. 
Few months  ago, my husband who is an alcoholic started  getting  abusive  to me , insulting  me and sometimes even  being physically abusive.
I was  trying to find an excuse for the man that I've  been together for 13 years,but honestly  things  were escalating  a lot when he was drinking,  is like  his whole behaviour  changed and sometimes  I couldn't  even recognise  him. So after a lot of arguments,  when I was feeling  like things  were escalating( he threw some things on my leg, gettung physical  and scaring me) and I couldn't  take it anymore  I called  the police because  we are not from the UK and I was scared  and worried that something  really  bad is gonna happen.
That day, unfortunately  it was my birthday and I spoke with someone  from the police  and they asked me if I want them to send someone just to visit  us but honestly  he was sleeping  then and because  of his execive  drinking having some  health problems with his liver,  I said that they don't  have to do that .

BuT next day we were having  an argument  again and I was crying and I was really  upset and I was sitting  on the sofa and he hit me on my leg, AT that moment iw as holding a hand cream and threw  that NOT on him but on the sofa, and what he did , called the police and told them that I'm  really upset and that I threw something  at him and he has a bruice  on his face( a bruice  that he had from few days ago when he was in a bas trying  to separate  friends  from getting  into a fight. 
So the police  came, took me into  the police  station  and questioned me, I told them that yes I threw the cream but not to him  and without  intention to harm  him  ,only because  I got scared  at the moment.
So , now they are still investigating  and my solicitor  told me they are looking to maybe give me a caution because  even if I didn't  hit him throwing  a hand cream that you're  holding  when you're  scared can be ana act of violence.
I'm  a doctor, I don't  work as a doctor yet and don't  have GMC registration  yet.

But I just want  to know experience  with someone  ,possibly  a doctor , with caution( I still don't  have it at the moment,but maybe I will), getting GMC registration  and getting  a job as a doctor  with caution.
I just want to know if with this I'm  actually  losing  my future here and if there is a point for me staying  in UK if I'm  not gonna be able to work in healthcare  ever.
Sorry for the long post , and thank you for your answer

If you do accept a caution, then you would have to disclose it to the GMC as part of the application process, or if you've already applied you would have to tell them. They have guidance about this on their website here. The part about cautions starts at paragraph 15, and says that a caution doesn't mean to them that the offence happened, so they would investigate. You can tell them what you've been going through as they will ask you for your side of the story. You could argue that it was self-defence, as he had already hit you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO