theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Should I have told my potential employer about my record?

Should I have told my potential employer about my record?

Author
Li2721
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have applied for a job and as of yet there has been no questions asking me about criminal convictions. It stated at the interview process I would be asked. I went to the interview and they didn't ask (they must have forgotten?) Anyway, if I am offered the job do I have to tell them about my criminal record? Am I legally obliged too? I am afraid that if/when I do they would take the job offer back. Are they allowed to do this? I didn't go to prison, I received a fine and 40 hours community service.
Li2721
Li2721
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)Supreme Being (2.1K reputation)

I was convicted in June 2015. I received a fine and a forty hour community order. Suspended sentence - 12 months. So the end of my order is June 2016. So a year after that means It will not be spent until June 2017? The job is for a customer service role at Barclays Bank. I fear if I am offered the job it will mention unspent convictions in the paper work and thus I will be obliged to tell them. I have a degree, and excellent qualifications but unfortunately I am struggling to get a job with my 'criminal record'.
Li2721
Li2721
Supreme Being

Okay great, thanks for your help.
Li2721
Li2721
Supreme Being

Thanks so much for your help, they have offered me the job and the screening process is taking place this week. So I hope they decide to give me the job despite my history. Thank you! I will keep you updated.
Li2721
Li2721
Supreme Being

Hi,
When I told them about my conviction for assault they told me I was no longer suitable for the job. I am also struggling to find anyone to employ me despite good education and references. I am just hoping things will get easier once my conviction becomes spent. Sorry I cannot offer you more positive news.
GO