theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Thinking of applying for uni - what happens?

Thinking of applying for uni - what happens?

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Btur

There are many posts on this forum about people's experiences of applying to get into University. If you have to disclose, then it's likely that the university will want to consider any risk that you pose and whether you could 'damage the reputation' of the university if it came to light that you were studying there. Many universities offer potential students the opportunity to sit a panel where they can explain the circumstances around their offence and reassure the university that they do not pose any risks. If this is something that you really want, then go for it.

You stated that there has been some media coverage of your offence and, this may give the uni cause for concern. Not only that, but as Nigel states, there is also the risk that other students on your course may find out. If you've been considering changing your name then that sounds like a really sensible thing to do. You could always apply to the Uni now and tell them that you are in the process of doing this in order to protect the reputation of the uni!

I've attached a link to our information on changing your name - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/changing-name/ and also applying to university - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/information/education/

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi

If you email our helpline and mark it for my attention, I'd be more than happy to help - advice@unlock.org.uk

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
NigelV2
NigelV2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

I studied an art based course and I had to disclose. I got on the course and finished (with a first), but I wished I'd changed my name beforehand. This was only due to someone finding out near the end.
The lead tutors knew about the offence - although there were a certain amount of mitigating circumstances which they understood affected how I was at the time. They are still supportive and I got a very good reference from the head tutor.
Changing your name is a matter of hours/days by statutory declaration (depending on getting an appointment with a solicitor). It's then getting all the other things updated that has taken time. So perhaps this could be done sooner rather than waiting another year?
I would say go for it - change your name ASAP and get started Smile
Btur
Btur
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)

Ok thanks for that. I have spoken to someone who was convicted of a serious offence but got a place after being interviewed by some sort of safeguarding panel and also changed his name. I guess no harm in giving it a go.
Btur
Btur
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)

Dear Deb S would it be possible to message you on a private matter? Its about the Unlock website. I can leave an email address if that's possible.
Btur
Btur
Supreme Being

I am thinking of applying to go to university as a mature undergraduate. I have already had
indications from a couple of course leaders that I am a 'shoe-in' given my experience. The
course itself does not require disclosures (creative writing).
However I would like to know what the process if I apply and tick the disclosure box? What
is the process?
It is a serious recent offence and was in newspapers so Im not hopeful.
Alternatively, next year I may change my name and try then.
Btur
Btur
Supreme Being

Ive further read the other posts and realise its pointless applying if I am going to disclose.
I may change name and not disclose. I man. what the heck?
GO