theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Losing your home - not end of the world

Losing your home - not end of the world

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Really interesting perspective R2S - good luck in the search for stable housing!

Need information/advice?

1. Is your question already answered? Check our online Information Hub, Frequently Asked Questions, Publications, Links & Members Forum

2. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask the community a question

3. Still don’t know the answer? Ask UNLOCK  

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Anonymous
Anonymous

It's why I never bought one, you could see the mess coming a mile off? Apparently, a few million couldn't. I remember every time I walked into my local branch they were begging me to take out a mortgage. One day the lady behind the counter asked me why I didn't want to buy. I told her, "I can see what's coming". She looked away a little too guiltily for my liking and didn't say anything else about it again. Talk about a millstone around your neck!

People laughed and asked why I chose to pay rent privately - just before I emigrated I saw the same people in near tears as their house prices crashed and they in turn lost them and started to pay rent again, affordable rent, not whooping mortgages way beyond their financial means.  

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

release2succeed
release2succeed
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)Supreme Being (834 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Seeing as I am going through this right now I thought I'd jot something down here while it's still fresh in my mind.

Since my conviction last spring(2011) which resulted in a community sentence, I have always known that my mortgage on my house would be under threat. I managed with the help of family to struggle along but while JSA will pay the interest on your mortgage they will not pay the repayment side of things. Also in my case I had remortgaged twice to support my business so that was also not included. It was therefore a matter of time unless I could find work which never materialised in time.

So after a last ditch attempt last Monday to get the eviction order revoked and a final plea for more time ignored by the lenders, on Thursday the bailiffs and locksmiths arrived and took possession of the house. I had managed to get most of the stuff that matters to me into storage (books, music, hifi, computer gear, etc) but I had no choice but to leave all the bigger items behind. A nice leather suite, decent bed and a lovely oak desk but... and I guess this is the point I wanted to make here... if you are fortunate like me to not have the additional stress of kids or a partner to worry about AND you have somewhere temporary to crash (currently typing from my bed/couch in a friends house). In my case, after all the crap with the arrest, trial and conviction and probation etc., for the first time in more than a year I felt a great weight lifted off my back. Literally the worst thing I could imagine as a once well off business owner had happened (short of prison) and I have left it all behind me. The last week I have no worries about paying bills or not answering the door to debt collectors. I feel like I can make a fresh start (minus of course the probation side of things) and get on with my life.

Yes I'm still unemployed at present but I'm starting my own business through the New Enterprise Allowance scheme (will write more in another post about this but ask your JSA advisor at the Job Centre for more info) and also have five interviews coming up for jobs in the next week (fingers crossed on the CRB side of things but you gotta keep trying).

Also I have managed to find a few one bed flats that I really like and now I can get Housing Benefit (and with a load from some good friends for the bond) I can see a new life ahead of me in a new place and leave my old mad bad world behind me.

I guess I just wanted to write this as losing my house has been my biggest fear since my arrest and now it's happened it's like turning on the light as a kid and finding out the monster is really just a shadow.

As long as you have your friends, family and/or at the very least your life and liberty (however much it may be curtailed as a result of your offence) then you have something to look forward to in the future.

Don't sweat the trivial things. As an ex-offender you have already dealt and are dealing with things most people can and never will experience or understand.

A house is just bricks and mortar and can be replaced.

Cheers

R2S
aledsav1
aledsav1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)Supreme Being (768 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Really like the postive outlook on what most would consider a nightmare, I have never had a mortgage but know that the fear of losing something is horrific, but the freedom from such an event is massive. I have had to start from scratch many times over the years and I feel very lucky to have not allowed myself to be tied down by careers/relationships/property, most are kept PRISONERS by the fear of losing those things. For me my problems and actions/reactions and subsequent consequences have allowed me to reinvent myself/life and I have allows looked at it as having a blank canvass to create anything I choose.
GO