theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

job application wording

job application wording

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Loxley

As the others have said, if your conviction is spent and the job is covered by the ROA, then there's no need for you to disclose it even if you come across a question such as this one.

It would be interesting to know who this employer is - useful for the Employment Project that Unlock is currently working on which involves supporting employers to recruit people with convictions and challenging bad practice where we see it.

If you don't want to 'name and shame' on here - perhaps you could give the Helpline a quick ring or drop us an email at advice@unlock.org.uk.

Good luck with the job

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
BT
BT
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)Supreme Being (7.8K reputation)

It may not require it, but doesn't mean they won't do it anyway. Seems to me that a lot of companies do checks for jobs that really shouldn't have any need for one.

And I agree too that the questions are dreadful - I'm pretty sure too that you can say no to the 1st one at least if your conviction is spent
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Those questions are terrible, how are you suppose to know what check they are doing. Or is that the point, KFC wanting people to disclose convictions when they don't have to.
Knowing what I know now, I would treat questions like that, as a basic check and tick no if my conviction was spent.
Can't think that working in KFC requires a DBS Check!
The Pineapple Thief
The Pineapple Thief
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)Supreme Being (9K reputation)

I've applied for jobs with American companies before and it can get frustrating that they tailor their application forms forms for the USA and don't bother adapting them for the country where the job is based - they could simply do this by adding a "not applicable" box to that kind of question. I think some may ask for things like insurance details as well which while relevant to the merkins has no bearing on the rest of the planet.

I haven't stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!

I havent stolen any Pineapples, but they are a great prog rock band!
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

it depends on the job, but unless you are applying to work in a restricted environment (the MOD etc.) or with the vulnerable (and your conviction is relevant) then you are correct - you answer no.
JohnL
JohnL
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Hi Loxley,

Is the job based in America? If so, just be careful as if they're sponsoring your visa you'll have to give a copy of your PNC info to the American authorities as part of the process. I'm not sure if they get a copy or would be informed though?

Also, the rehabilitation of offenders act (and so convictions becoming spent) isn't recognised in the USA, so a conviction would never be spent for immigration or employment purposes.
Loxley22
Loxley22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)

the company is kfc, the application form seems a bit dubious in other non-conviction related areas too, particularly health, which leaves me to wonder of some behind closed doors descrimination. unfortinately I am unable to copy and paste the application form on here to show you all.

it is a job in britain too so the box is firmly ticked as 'no'. cheers for the advice and help.
Loxley22
Loxley22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)Supreme Being (3.2K reputation)

just to add, theres two questions:
the first one is worded "have you ever been convicted of a crime or an offence"
the second one is worded "have you ever been subject to a court order"
Loxley22
Loxley22
Supreme Being

cheers I thought so, just thought I had better check as the wording of it threw me.
its an american company and a search of google showed it seems to be a norm over there to ask that way rather than asking for unspent convictions.
Loxley22
Loxley22
Supreme Being

hi just a quick question, I have a job application form that states "have you been convicted of a crime?" my conviction is spent so would I be correct in believing I can simply answer no to this?
GO