theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

S.O.R. Proposed Changes - Further Notification Requirements - Consultation

S.O.R. Proposed Changes - Further Notification Requirements -...

Author
MenaceToSobriety
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
For those who have yet to read this months issue of The Record, you will have missed an article by Andy H outlining proposed changes to the Sex Offenders Register, affecting all those who are subject to the notification requirements.

Briefly, it is proposed to add the following requirements to the current arrangements:

i) notify the police of all foreign travel (currently only travel outside of the UK for three or more days is notified)
ii) notify weekly where they are registered as having 'no fixed abode' (where a registered sex offender has no sole or main residence and instead must notify the police of the place where they can regularly be found)
iii) notify the police when living in a household with a child under the age of 18
iv) notify the police of passport, bank account and credit card details and provide the police with proof of identification at each notification

Whilst this consultation is targeted towards key groups and agencies managing sexual offenders, public responses are welcomed. As such, this gives Unlock members who would be affected by these proposals to present their opinions. The consultation documents outline the proposals in reasonable detail, and it is clear that they are seeking opinions on whether the measures are proportionate to the risks presented in these "loopholes" in current legislation.

As such, if you read through the documentation and feel that the proposed measures are disproportionate to the perceived risk, or that the costs involved might be better utilised elsewhere in the justice system, I suggest you submit a detailed and considered response to this consultation.
GO

Threaded View

Threaded View
MenaceToSobriety - 14 Years Ago
forever changes - 15 Years Ago
Newton - 14 Years Ago
Christopher Stacey - 16 Years Ago

Dear All
As Chris Stacey knows I am in the process...
Christopher - 14 Years Ago
                         There seems, as ever, to be slightly dubious thinking going on at the...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Newton said... So 'they' now want to make life on...

Hi All
I have just submitted my 12 page response to the so...
                                     Yes the ECPAT source document which is used extensively to back up the...
                                         FC, There's a slight problem with the link you've posted to the home...
highcryer - 14 Years Ago
                                             Reading from the pdf file my main concern is bank details. How do i...
The Stig - 13 Years Ago
                                                 Stig, I share your concerns regarding bank details. I for one woud...
highcryer - 14 Years Ago
                                                     I have now submitted my considered response to these proposals and in...
                                                         Hi Menace, Quite, quite brilliant! Why is such rationality never...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Dear Menace
Thanks for uploading your brilliant...
                                                                 Inspired by both of you I've decided to have a look at this myself....
AJH - 14 Years Ago
                                                                     Okay, the second one really annoyed me. I know I'm a liberal-Lefty...
AJH - 14 Years Ago
                                                                         Very well put Christopher. Andy - I hope you will also be submitting...
                                                                             In relation to the third proposal... In order to consider whether...
AJH - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                 Can I just say, I'm pleased to see a number of members submitting...
Christopher Stacey - 16 Years Ago
                                                                                     not as detailed as the other brilliant contributions by menace,...
                                                                                         Okay, I've done a bit more work on this and will submit the document...
AJH - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                             Just discovered something that I find rather odd about all of this...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

AndyH said... Okay, I've done a bit more work on...

Can I bring in something here from the perspective of one who...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                         Interesting stuff. I think you may be right that this could be an...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Hi Andy,
Yes of course there are many reasons why...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                 Surely differences in laws between countries can be adjusted for as...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

You can’t really compare opposites unless you have something in...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                         I can only talk about my internet sex offending but I know neither...

Thanks for your reply ‘ Changes’. Yes, this is the type of...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago

Hi Everyone
Some thoughts arising from things that...
                                                                                                                                     In advance - apologies to everyone else for my turning this into a...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Fascinating and really interesting to a "Systems Mechanic" like...

Phew! Overuse of obscure and technical terms Andy. You’re in...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                 I wonder what the maximum sentence is for breaching the plain English...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Sentences for breaching plain English laws? From what I’ve...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago

Just thought a short explanation and a few thoughts might be of...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                             Definitely agree that the Moors Murders were a turning point, perhaps...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Hi

In two sentences Andy and Ian have summed up...
                                                                                                                                                                     Don’t apologize Chris, Andy and I love a debate and it’s a shame that...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                                         Makes me think of the adage: "One man's terrorist is another...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

I do personally hate what has happened and have no sympathy...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                                                 I think you are right Ian that this is not a riot of the working...
AJH - 14 Years Ago

Yes, a lot of the rioters are marginalised, but there again a...
Anonymous - 14 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                                                         This has gone way off topic (SOR proposed changes) - and led by 2...
                                                                                                                                                                                             I had an email from home office asking if it was ok to quote from my...
                                                                                                                                                                                                 AndyH said... I think you are right Ian that this is not a riot...
The Stig - 13 Years Ago
                                                                                                                                                                                                     FC - that's great as at least it shows they are considering the...
AJH - 14 Years Ago