theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg's arson conviction

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg's arson conviction

Author
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The Politicians might be in it for themselves but people aint going to stand it for much longer with the cuts. We did not put this country in a mess as what it is now. The government will just look at us as a scapegoat and us to pick up the mess they made. I can see more riots here and i fear this country will get worse.

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?
ataloss
ataloss
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)Supreme Being (360 reputation)

i agree with you Rally Master!i am disgusted frankly that Clegg has a conviction for arson and the Bullingdon Club were well known for their checkbook vandalism.  Boris Johnson was said to have tried burning down a restaurant toilet!  This is appalling, when we have the aristocracy/wealthy being let of with 'its just hijinks" if a 16 year old boy from poorer background did this he would have been labelled a "ned", delinquent etc etc. this is not on.  A whole bunch of us on this forum are knackered in terms of work.  These lot have the top job in the country!  How are they not enhanced disclosed?  they have to liase with the public regularly which includes vulnerable groups regularly!  what is happening behind the scenes in moj?  Nothing seems to be made publicon CRB website!  I am not following this right are we being papped to the side...again?   Ive been knocked back from 4 jobs this year aone due to outdated criminal record...why am I being discriminated against and cant even get enough money together to look after my kid?  Whats happening with MOJ?  there was plenty noises that things were going to change...are they going to change or what?  any press releases planned in conjunction with planned report from Andy H?  sorry for sounding rabid..but, I am incensed by this..how dare they treat us like this. we got families tofeed and clothe.
aim
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
This was reported in the news a while ago:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7003100.stm

An arsonist in the houses of parliament. The new Guy Fawkes!

He still hasn't replied to the letter I sent to him in April about reform to ROA.
Anonymous
Anonymous

Isn’t there a bit of sour grapes here folks? :-)

The difference between Clegg, Cameron et al, is that they, unlike us, were never charged. Clegg I believe volunteered for community service

and Cameron and chums paid back financially for the damage they caused. Yes, certainly nothing to be proud of, but wouldn’t you say they’ve

reformed – just like us? Why, because they’re rich and now in positions of power, should we delight in the raking up of their past? By doing

so, aren’t we simply suggesting that reform isn’t possible or that they should struggle like us? In their younger days they were stupid, that

should be acknowledged and then they should be allowed to move on.

Don’t get me wrong, I detest the whole lot of them, but not because they are rich or have misbehaved in their younger days, but because they

seem useless in the job they do. So I suppose what I’m saying is, rich does not necessarily equal bad and a past does not necessarily

equal future behaviour. In other words, what would we individually say if we landed a plum job and our pasts were subject to the same media

scrutiny as theirs?     

Per aspera ad astra!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Yes, I agree that we’d try to do something if we were PM’s, but their behavior wasn’t charged or ended up in a court of law in the same way as our offences were. I suppose that’s where the difference lies. You can see sometimes this emerge on this site where the inference is that I only got a caution or I haven’t been in jail with a subliminal message that somehow there are degrees of severity and deserving outcomes. I have a feeling that given the chance most people as PM’s would concentrate on their own particular grievances – so in effect the unemployed would concentrate on employment; the ones on the CRB would try to change that . . . . . Everyone does tend to focus on their own problems and I can see the sense in that, it’s natural. Let’s not fool ourselves that if we won the lottery we would all become socially aware human beings and try to put the world to rights with our new found wealth.

Cameron and co., are busy feathering their own nests and their ulterior motive is to get re-elected. You won’t do this by going against the majority of opinion of the country and it’s why for the past three decades I’ve had no faith in any of them. Let’s not believe there are altruistic reasons behind their words, they are in this for themselves. I’m sorry, but you can actually feel the hatred towards bankers, politicians and the rich oozing out of this thread. smile

I suppose it all comes down to where the responsibility lies. If you believe that the government should and are responsible for the ills of society then you have every right to criticise them. If you believe bankers are upstanding pillars of society and not greedy unscrupulous people out to make a quick profit; or that the rich lie awake at night worrying about social problems, then indeed you can wonder why things are as they are. But whatever makes anyone wonder why they aren’t bothered – that’s what I find surprising.

If however you believe it is up to the individual to educate themselves, acquire work skills and be self reliant then Cameron and Co., don’t figure in the blame. So in effect how do you see the government - as Managers or social workers?     

Per aspera ad astra!

Anonymous
Anonymous

The point is ‘Changes’ that ‘forgetting’ to pay your taxes and listing falsely claiming expenses as an ‘oversight’ don’t appear to be criminal offences. Yes, morally I’d say just about all of them are bankrupt, but most of them stop short of breaking the criminal law. How do they do it? Well, I suppose if you’re in charge of making the law it would seem they simply use that to their advantage.

Per aspera ad astra!

xl
xl
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)Supreme Being (5.1K reputation)

Id probably say that the mainstream goverment has been controlled by the media for too long
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

How come the wider media aren't picking this up - nice one Radio Nottingham https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ueBCWaWNcY Worth listening to all of it to hear how crap he is. For the impatient the arson conviction (for setting fire to 2 greenhouses when he was 16) starts to be mentioned at 4.45

I take it MPs aren't required to do an enhanced CRB check
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

aim said...
This was reported in the news a while ago:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7003100.stm

An arsonist in the houses of parliament. The new Guy Fawkes!

He still hasn't replied to the letter I sent to him in April about reform to ROA.
well dug out aim. It's astonishing there's no CRB checks for MPs and from what I can see none for MEPs or local councillors either when these ppl obviously will have contact with children and vulnerable ppl as part of their job. One rule for them, another one for us
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

IanC said...

Isn’t there a bit of sour grapes here folks? :-)

The difference between Clegg, Cameron et al, is that they, unlike us, were never charged. Clegg I believe volunteered for community service

and Cameron and chums paid back financially for the damage they caused. Yes, certainly nothing to be proud of, but wouldn’t you say they’ve

reformed – just like us? Why, because they’re rich and now in positions of power, should we delight in the raking up of their past? By doing

so, aren’t we simply suggesting that reform isn’t possible or that they should struggle like us? In their younger days they were stupid, that

should be acknowledged and then they should be allowed to move on.

Don’t get me wrong, I detest the whole lot of them, but not because they are rich or have misbehaved in their younger days, but because they

seem useless in the job they do. So I suppose what I’m saying is, rich does not necessarily equal bad and a past does not necessarily

equal future behaviour. In other words, what would we individually say if we landed a plum job and our pasts were subject to the same media

scrutiny as theirs?     

The point is they haven't reformed, they're still at it e.g. the expenses scandal 

GO