theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travel to Australia

Travel to Australia

Author
EDDIE
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My son is finishing University this year and planning to go to Australia on holiday. I have researched the hub and as he only has one conviction, a 16 week sentence suspended for 12 months he does not have a substantial criminal conviction and would qualify for a visa, just wondering if anyone else has travelled to Australia as a tourist with similar problems. How do they find out about your convictions?
MovingOn
MovingOn
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

Hi. I've immigrated to Australia (with a record) and although I don't think they can check UK records , I think its best to declare your conviction in your visa application. Apply before going, to avoid nasty surprises when you get here. Also if you don't declare your conviction and this is somehow found out you will be deported and banned from entering Australia for, I think 3 or 5 years. Authorities frown on making false declaration (they ask if you have a record in your visa application and on your landing card on the plane before landing here)

Post Edited (Peter R) : 27/02/2014 07:03:02 GMT

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Great to see how far reaching Unlock is!!!!!

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi Eddie

Australian immigration has no access to the UK Police National Computer. They may be given access on a case by case basis if the need arose.

Please feel free to contact the Unlock Helpline if you need any further information.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Hi rme123

The examples given on the Information Hub refer to custodial sentences or a suspended sentence. A Community Order is not seen as a 'sentence' in this instance.

Best wishes

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

The question is do they have any way to find out?

Does the UK share any info with Australia? I don't know.

I know that I probably will in a few years try to enter the country and I won't give any information about convictions.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

I think if you immigrating surely then you would need to disclose as normal, otherwise if its a normal holiday for a few weeks ? I would personally chance it and just tick no to criminal convictions.

Its no doubt similar to US travel where most just tick no and enjoy their hols, the only time people get caught out is when they are sweating or they do something to flag them up while entering the country.

Not that I have heard of anyone disputing or attempting to argue with customs( I bet they loose and don't discuss it online!) , but I would imagine many try the old line of it was "spent" under UK ROA law but they would immediately claim that is UK law not their law anyhow.

Anyhow if you do chance it perhaps get the cheapest flight tickets and don't pay for the holiday or hotel bookings just yet, this way if you do get very unlucky you have at least saved an arm and leg in cost.
rme123
rme123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

I was just looking at the Unlock Information Hub about travel to Australia. It mentions that you will be ineligible for a basic tourist visa if your have "one or more sentences, or if your sentence was 12 or more months". The examples it uses to illustrate this are custodial sentences (e.g. you are given a 12 month sentence, but only serve 6 months, you are still ineligible). However, does a community order constitute a "sentence"? The Information Hub and Australian visa page both give the impression that this is referring to custodial and/or suspended sentences.

I should point out, that even if you don't meet the criteria for a basic visa based on the above, you can still apply via another route (see info hub for more on this).
rme123
rme123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

In which case, that is good news! Thanks for clearing that up.
oliviathomas
oliviathomas
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

good post thanks for sharing this
GO