theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travel while on licence

Travel while on licence

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Arkin,

While it's true to say British Citizens have free movement in the EU, it will be a standard condition on your licence that you are not able to travel outside of the United Kingdom unless you get permission of your probation officer first. This can be difficult to get. You should take a look at the main Unlock site in the Information Hub section on Travel Abroad.

Need information/advice?

1.       Visit our online Information Hub, including Frequently Asked Questions, Publications, and Links at www.unlock.org.uk

2.       Ask the community at forum.unlock.org.uk

3.       Contact our Helpline

Use our online form:          www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=160

Email us:                                advice@unlock.org.uk

Call us:                                   01634 247350 (Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9am to 5pm)

Write to us:                           IAS, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Arkin,

The view of Probation to travel abroad doesn't really vary depending on your nationality. The point I was making about British Citizens was, in the same way as other EU citizens, they have free movement in the EU.

In terms of Probation, they tend to be quite strict, looking at the alternative being that you should be otherwise in prison. The Info Hub section on travel has links to some formal Probation guidance, though each Probation Area will have their own policy. Ultimately, it depends on your reason for travel, and general 'seeing family / to work / holiday' reasons will often be refused unfortunately.

Nevertheless, much will depend on your specific case and your Probation officer. All you can do is ask. Please do come back on here with an update once you do.

Need information/advice?

1.       Visit our online Information Hub, including Frequently Asked Questions, Publications, and Links at www.unlock.org.uk

2.       Ask the community at forum.unlock.org.uk

3.       Contact our Helpline

Use our online form:          www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=160

Email us:                                advice@unlock.org.uk

Call us:                                   01634 247350 (Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9am to 5pm)

Write to us:                           IAS, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Anonymous
Anonymous

Mine lasts about two to three years before it fills up. If you live in Asia, payable in HK$ 2,267 for a 48 page one. (£182)! sad

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

The only hinderance you will find is the punitive cost of a new passport. £72.50! freaked

I accepted my guilt, but don't punish me forever.

To fully understand something, you must experience it.

Give peas a chance.

Being ignorant is not a problem as long as you are willing to learn.

Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

EU has free movement of people, there should be nothing preventing you travelling to any European country at all?
Arkin
Arkin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

thank you...
Arkin
Arkin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

I am British and EU citizen Just released 3 months ago after serving long sentence for money laundring and drug offences. i am on licence for 8 years. may I travel anywhere I wish within the EU without hindrance or restrictions. At this moment i am told to wait at least 2-3 years to travel within EU..Is this RIGHT.....Need help...thank you...
Arkin
Arkin
Supreme Being

I will do that mate......Thanks....
Arkin
Arkin
Supreme Being

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your comment....I know it will be a standard condition on my licence that i am not going to be able to travel outside of the United Kingdom without PO permission (if i was British Citizen only). I know it could have been difficult to get that.. What i am trying to know, I am also
Cypriot citizen and part of EU. Do you think PO would take that in to a consideration? Do you also think if not considered it can be against EU human rights. Lastly do you think i have a good case to take this to court.. I will be appreciate your opinion...

thank you...
GO