theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

China visa

China visa

Author
napes44
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello all. I am planning to visit China in December and want to apply for my visa shortly. The q about a conviction troubles me. Do I answer it honestly and disclose my conviction albeit 6.5yrs ago or do I fail to disclose it? the conviction was for downloading 14 indecent images, an offence for which I continue to feel very guilty and remorseful. Any advice?
napes44
napes44
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Thank you for your experience and advice. How did you word your disclosure? The messages about non-disclosure are confusing and I am wondering about staying quiet especially as so many advise non-disclosure. I will also consider applying for a year long visa so thank you for that advice.
napes44
napes44
Supreme Being

I am going on own. Refusal of a visa would be a big problem hence my concern about disclosing.
napes44
napes44
Supreme Being

If I don't disclose on the application form what are the risks and consequences?? It seems from various posts that no checks are made.
lastgo70
lastgo70
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)

Hi, I have just had my visa application for china rejected (for an offence from 18 years ago), so I am curious to know, did you apply via post or did you attend in person?

Anonymous
Anonymous

"Do you have any criminal record in China or any other country"?

See the attached documents. If you work you will also need the second attached document and will also need to apply for a special 'Z' visa. The process is lengthy, costly, beauracratic and time consuming. If you have masochistic tendencies; you may increase the beauracracy, time and length of your application by answering 'yes' to the initial question and an almost certainty of being refused.   

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

Post Edited (IanC) : 12/12/2011 09:43:52 GMT

Anonymous
Anonymous

You wouldn’t need a ‘Z’ visa if you’re not getting paid – it’s considered ‘voluntary’ work and you can do that on a tourist visa. The problem with tourist visas is you only get 30 days, (no matter what you apply for), but you can extend them for twice x 30 days each, (Public Security Bureau), giving you a total of 90 days.

Almost certainly a declaration will flag up an inquiry and will in nearly all cases be refused. It’s not what or how long ago, its criminal convictions they’re asking for. If you have one you should declare it, if you do you’re probably so naïve and unworldly wise that you really shouldn’t consider travelling abroad. Read between the lines on this one Steven.

With all due respect

Regards

Marmite

Anonymous
Anonymous

You're welcome and good luck.

With all due respect

Regards

Marmite

Sputnik
Sputnik
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)Supreme Being (372 reputation)

Forever, I might have missed it (appologies if I have) but is your conviction spent, and do you think this made a difference in their decision to award you a visa?
I have just over 3 years on teh SOR to go, anmd just over 12 months under supervision.
Thanks
Pete B
Pete B
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)Supreme Being (664 reputation)

I was unclear on the entry process regarding convictions when I went to the states in 1998 I declared them and was shipped back. I have since gone over on 12 ocassions so it pays to tell the truth althrough they interview you charge you money and dictate 1 visit and the period it can be taken. It stinks it impacts on my work opportunitys and is an area that needs to be sorted.
GO