theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Success and more

Success and more

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Bachman

It's fantastic to hear that things are going so well for you.

I speak to people every day who are leading happy and fulfilling lives with a criminal record. There needs to be more people like you who are willing to share these positive experiences.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Bachman
Bachman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

I was sent to prison in 2010 and served 16 months of a 2 year 8 month sentence. Throughout my time inside I was told I would struggle to find work, let alone lead a content life on release. On hearing this it made me more determined to prove these doubters wrong. I started a degree with the open University while in custody and have just completed my third year part-time. I was in and out of a hostel within 4 weeks and off JSA after a couple of months, temping with a local agency. I now have been in permanent employment for nearly a year and have been earmarked for progression through to management. I was open and honest with my employer whose response was "they had a duty to employ a broad range of people from the community, including those with criminal convictions, spent or not". I finally married my long-term girlfriend and fiancée last month who stood by me throughout the court process. I now lead a happy and content life and the thought of reoffending is not even considered.

My point to all forum readers is this, don't ever let anyone tell you can't get your life back on track. All I heard was doom and gloom whilst inside, but hard work and determination opens up many opportunities for individuals.

Happy Posting
Bachman
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

I have to admit that despite my past difficulties my life now is pretty much ok, I have a loving partner a profitable business, and my own car and home. The point of me disclosing this is that at one time I would have never belived it possible. It makes me understand the value of what I have and very determined not to lose it again.
GO