theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Online newspaper article about my crime... Will it be (potentially) on the internet forever?

Online newspaper article about my crime... Will it be (potentially) on...

Author
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This is heart breaking to read all the above.

While I do read the news and watch it time to time, I have always believed it is 100% illegal and criminally to post up a persons picture, there street and area of there residence and there crime. I was even more shocked to hear its the judges and police giving out the mug shots and story to the press and media !

No it is not helping ANYONE, in fact is causing hate and vigilante crime. It makes other people resort to becoming "criminals" also.

Its a breach of "rights to privacy" and human rights, the right to live peacefully and to be.

I have often wondered about all these media and paper and internet articles, they show the police officers and the judges and solicitors and prosecutors half the time.....
so this can work against them also, Criminals or others that may have been effected ie financial loss could easily go after them.

This is not good at all for anyone, news is news I do not disagree but it should be handled different. Faces and names and details should be blocked peroid, if its good and happy news then its fine.

I can not give any direct advice really once your face and name appears on the press, it is however after some time yesterdays chip paper.... but sadly you are only a google click away, best advice is to change your full name and change your appearance. If you got the money or friends/family I would move far away from your current area, even the family should move on frankly. If you can retire else where in the world, that would be a good option or work abroad too. If money is an issue then you will have to beef up your house security...... small things, install door locks on your bathroom/kitchens so when you go to sleep or leave your house you can lock those doors. Use that child lock on the front door, install security camera system to see your outside of your house, and perhaps another camera to see who knocks on your front door. I would not even bother to be too friendly with neighbours or people in the area even.... I would even look at lamp post in case someone decides to post crap on you!

Perhaps its excessive, but no harm to cover your back..... course you do not need to do half the above but lately people do beef up there security a little at least !
Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

I have noticed a trend emerging about the internet.... while it is the greatest technology in the world its also the worst.

Not worst if you are always 100% law abiding Citizen, but chances are if you do actually live in this world one time or another anything can happen to you even if you do not want it too.

In some ways I can now understand Chinas internet need to remain secret and only for its people and not for anyone else, course the whole point of the world wide web is the internet !

It took a while just to realise that using Facebook and Social media sites is extremely damaging... all it takes is one person to take a photo of you and its part of the entire internet forever, lately you can not even talk about things on facebook or twitter without being arrested or being sacked or branded "bad".

Sadly we live in a world were were remembered for the bad and not the good, if your a celebrity then its different.... if you met Mike Tyson, you would shake his hand be all smiles and have a photo taken simply cos hes the "Man" we just ignore the fact he raped and beat up women and was arrested 38 times by age 13. Same applies to any other celebrity in America and many in the UK, just shows we live in a crazy world!

Perhaps they need to reboot the internet. Delete all articles and websites and information, either that or skynet and judgement day will solve it.
Hobbit
Hobbit
Supreme Being

Yes you are right Ian, it is what it is sadly.... the rest of the world can enjoy living we just have to make our own way jumping through endless loops ! But rest assured this nanny state train is continuing, there now going after twitter abusers and there is a new law going through which can arrest people that are "annoying" ie people protesting !

Yes that trick your referencing to common, many use linkme or others to build profiles of the name in question or multiple registrations on forums/websites and just keep doing it till all google sees is endless websites and references to that name, anything apart from your article is best, a very good suggestion and one that topic starter should do right away!
CJM
CJM
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)Supreme Being (380 reputation)

I am currently looking into this. I have a conviction that is now spent. I don't have to declare it when applying for jobs but most recruitment agencies use google searches to find out about you and hey presto! There it is! It completely defeats the object of the ROA 1974.

I believe there is legal recourse under the following:

- ROA 1974 - continued publication of spent convictions
- DPA - principle 3&5 (keeping information for longer than is necessary)
- ECHR - Article 8 (the right to a private and family life)
- defamation, due to malice. I have requested and they have refused.

I will let you know how this progresses. I will write to the paper for a final time and then speak to my solicitor about legal action. I am convinced they are breaking the law.
GO