theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Social Housin

Social Housin

Author
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

I'm currently living with my mother, however i'm wanting some independence.

How easy would it be to find accommodation that would take "DSS" ? How easy is it to find accommodation through my local council?

Thanks
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
james gtr manchester - 21 Aug 16 10:12 PM
Hi,

I'm currently living with my mother, however i'm wanting some independence.

How easy would it be to find accommodation that would take "DSS" ? How easy is it to find accommodation through my local council?

Thanks

Hi James

As I'm sure you're aware, there's a general shortage of social housing in the UK and you're best bet would be to get yourself on the Council Housing List as soon as you can.  Most councils will have a question on their application forms about criminal record - remember you only need to disclose unspent convictions even if the question asks you to disclose all cautions and convictions. I've attached a link to the information on our site which you may find useful.

If you're looking for a private rental, then there will be some landlords that do accept housing benefit and some that won't. If you're looking for accommodation through an estate agent, you might want to ask this question before you arrange a viewing. There's nothing worse than finding something you really love only to learn that the landlord won't accept housing benefit.

Have a look for private adverts in your local shops and also use websites such as Gumtree which can save you a lot of money in administrative charges.

Wishing you the best of luck. Feel free to contact us again if you need any further help.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO