theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Car insurance with a conviction

Car insurance with a conviction

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Diogenese - 30 Mar 18 12:03 PM
I don't have a car myself but there are situations where I might borrow my son's car.

He called his insurance company to have me put on his insurance. He was asked no qualifying questions and my name on his policy actually reduced the premium - go figure.

Hi Derek 

Great to hear that the premium has been reduced. I'd just make sure that you double check the small print in the policy, especially the 'assumptions' page as this can sometimes include something along the lines of:

"This policy is issued on the basis that no driver has any unspent convictions"

You don't want to discover it if you're unlucky enough to have to make a claim.

Let us know how you get on.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
K-NW
K-NW
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Dave Lister - 5 Oct 16 7:24 PM
Hi what experience have people had when applying for car insurance quotes whilst having a non-motoring conviction against their name? My current insurer is unable to offer me a quote this year so the race is on to find a decent price before the 1st November.

Another insure is Direct Line, they do not ask the question at all and offer good rates. All the insurers share information so its best to not enter your personal details in relation to a conviction as once one knows the industry knows. Even if you have to pay a slightly higher rate for a few years until your conviction becomes spent its worth doing so to not have to declare and so let the industry know that you have convictions.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

K-NW - 4 Jun 18 5:32 PM
Hi what experience have people had when applying for car insurance quotes whilst having a non-motoring conviction against their name? My current insurer is unable to offer me a quote this year so the race is on to find a decent price before the 1st November.

Another insure is Direct Line, they do not ask the question at all and offer good rates. All the insurers share information so its best to not enter your personal details in relation to a conviction as once one knows the industry knows. Even if you have to pay a slightly higher rate for a few years until your conviction becomes spent its worth doing so to not have to declare and so let the industry know that you have convictions.

There are a few motor insurers who are only interested in motoring convictions. So, if your convictions are for non-motoring offences, you can use one of them. Unlock has a list of them here. Direct Line is one of them.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Zack
Zack
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)

AB2014 - 7 Jun 18 11:02 AM

There are a few motor insurers who are only interested in motoring convictions. So, if your convictions are for non-motoring offences, you can use one of them. Unlock has a list of them here. Direct Line is one of them.

I'm with Direct Line, and just had my renewal which beside each drivers name states "No convictions, endorsements, fixed penalties or disqualifications including points in the last 5 years". I'd hope they were only interested in motoring convictions, but I think it's broader than that. Indeed in the policy booklet last year it only stated "motoring convictions". I'd rather not disclose any information, so may check out other insurance providers listed on the Unlock site. Curious if anyone has has any luck with Direct Line recently?

Edited
6 Years Ago by Zack
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Zack - 19 Sep 18 6:11 PM

I'm with Direct Line, and just had my renewal which beside each drivers name states "No convictions, endorsements, fixed penalties or disqualifications including points in the last 5 years". I'd hope they were only interested in motoring convictions, but I think it's broader than that. Indeed in the policy booklet last year it only stated "motoring convictions". I'd rather not disclose any information, so may check out other insurance providers listed on the Unlock site. Curious if anyone has has any luck with Direct Line recently?

Not recently but when orig convicted I just told DL and they said they were only interested in motoring convictions so I ws fine to go with them ( this was 6 yrs ago now )

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Zack - 19 Sep 18 6:11 PM

I switched to Direct Line last year and was only asked on the proposal form about motoring convictions. I've just checked my policy documents and it has the same wording as you against myself as the main driver 'no convictions, endorsements,....' it then lists my SP30 speeding ticket.

This should all be OK - it would be pretty clear to a court of law or the insurance ombudsman that as the proposal only asked about motoring convictions these notes on the confirmation statement must do likewise. I've checked the fine print and cannot find any mention anywhere else about non-motoring convictions.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
Just as an update to this post which I hope will be of use to all.
I have been looking for insurance for a van that is to be converted to a campervan, nightmare...
After being rejected etc by many or quoted extortionate charges by others I phoned LV.

The process I followed was first; due to legal bits on converting a van made sure they would cover the van being modified.
Then prior to giving my personal details I asked about unspent convictions, and if provided insurance to EX SO's.
To my surprise I was informed that with vehicle insurance they will only reject those with "financial" convictions so EX SO's where not required to declare. Smile
Also the quote cost was a lot lower than some that required a declaration. Smile
As a footnote if I asked for home insurance the question would be asked and so a declaration would be required and informed they would reject offering a quote.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others and keep safe.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)Supreme Being (8.3K reputation)

JASB - 6 May 20 12:38 PM
Hi
I have been looking for insurance for a van that is to be converted to a campervan, nightmare...
After being rejected etc by many or quoted extortionate charges by others I phoned LV.

The process I followed was first; due to legal bits on converting a van made sure they would cover the van being modified.
Then prior to giving my personal details I asked about unspent convictions, and if provided insurance to EX SO's.
To my surprise I was informed that with vehicle insurance they will only reject those with "financial" convictions so EX SO's where not required to declare. Smile
Also the quote cost was a lot lower than some that required a declaration. Smile
As a footnote if I asked for home insurance the question would be asked and so a declaration would be required and informed they would reject offering a quote.

That's good to hear that a company didn't use your record as an opportunity to charge more. Personally my car insurance quotes are around £300 per year more with my conviction related to internet trolling

I have read a lot of stories about car insurance which don't make any sense or seem very unfair. As it is mandatory I'm surprised that the government hasn't overhauled the whole system to allow it to be fairer, but still allow statistics to play a part in their quotes

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
alexh07 - 11 May 20 3:09 AM
JASB - 6 May 20 12:38 PM
Hi

That's good to hear that a company didn't use your record as an opportunity to charge more. Personally my car insurance quotes are around £300 per year more with my conviction related to internet trolling

I have read a lot of stories about car insurance which don't make any sense or seem very unfair. As it is mandatory I'm surprised that the government hasn't overhauled the whole system to allow it to be fairer, but still allow statistics to play a part in their quotes

Hi
Yes it is good news. By approaching brokers and asking other insurance businesses I do feel you can see the hidden cost of an offence in this scenario. I hope my process helps others to gain the confidence to approach other firms rather than stick with the "default" who advertise as being supportive and forgiving but in reality see it as a good business market.

Insurance firms; like oil companies, pay a lot of tax to the government! Supporting ex-Offenders is not a vote winner. Why change the system lol. 
Take care and good luck.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Rufus
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

I am looking for insurance info - well ahead of time as I dont get my license back for 6 months but I have 2 disqualifications and a criminal conviction - because of the drag through rules my criminal conviction that would be spent in 1 year now lasts 5 years due to the disqualification. 

Anybody got any experience with companies that wont have my eyes out, so I can try for a quote.
GO