theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

First time travelling abroad since coming off SOR.

First time travelling abroad since coming off SOR.

Author
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Maybe a bit late with this reply....Dubai won't be a problem I have been there twice in the last two years while on the register.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Hi Edmund,

It looks at first glance like you should be OK to travel on their visa-waiver system, as it states you are only ineligible if you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in the last 10 years, and you state that your sentence was less than that.

Has your SOPO also expired? You need to be careful of this because if your SOPO is still running then you are still on the register, even if your official register period has elapsed. You remain on the register and with an unspent conviction until your SOPO expires. I found this out to my detriment - thought I was all clear but because the SOPO was indefinite (had to get a solicitor to get rid of it), it was still on the register even though the prescribed period had finished.

If your SOPO has expired and so you definitely are off the register, then in theory your passport should no longer flag up for random additional questions or not let you go through e-gates at UK airports. Even if your passport flags up, it doesn't necessarily mean the passport officer can see about your convictions - they often just get a prompt to ask a few questions but not an explanation why, and there are various reasons why a passport might flag up, some of which are unrelated to criminality. If this happens when you return, have a polite word with your local PPU and ask them to remove your details as you're no longer on the register.

wotsit39
wotsit39
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Edmund - 10 Mar 17 12:06 PM
Hello, Last year I finished 7 years on the SOR. I was on the register because of a 6 month imprisonment in 2009 for "making indecent images".This was, and continues to be, my only crime.I am, now, off the register and looking forward to a life free of those indiscretions and looking to a holiday, my first since 2009.I was hoping to go to New Zealand at some point, but try as I might, I am having trouble finding information online for my situation.What do I need to be aware of?Is there anyone I need to inform?Obviously there are no direct flights to NZ, so do I need to contact Dubai, Hong Kong, USA or Australia(all connecting points)?Can I even travel to New Zealand, or will I be sent home(or stopped boarding)? Are there any countries I absolutely can't travel to, or through?I have changed my name since, but I know this won't matter in regards to my passport.What can I expect when travelling? Will I be searched and monitored because of my past?I appreciate any help and assistance.

Hiya Edmund,

Not sure if you've got ay more info on this yet. I'd be quite interested in finding out how you get on (I have 2 years left on the register for similar conviction and hoping to travel soon) There's useful information here https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-new-zealand/ about travel to New Zealand. 

I would presume your SOPO will be up now so your conviction will be classed as spent, and now you're off the register too I would presume there is no need to inform the police of your travel.  

You can apply for a NZ tourist visa online here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/visitor-visa 
It might also be worth asking your contacts within the police for any advice, my officer was really helpful when I went to South Africa a couple of years ago.

I think its doable for you, you may just have to jump through some hoops first. 

Fingers crossed it all works out for you. 
Edmund
Edmund
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)Supreme Being (502 reputation)

Hello,

Last year I finished 7 years on the SOR. I was on the register because of a 6 month imprisonment in 2009 for "making indecent images".
This was, and continues to be, my only crime.
I am, now, off the register and looking forward to a life free of those indiscretions and looking to a holiday, my first since 2009.
I was hoping to go to New Zealand at some point, but try as I might, I am having trouble finding information online for my situation.
What do I need to be aware of?
Is there anyone I need to inform?
Obviously there are no direct flights to NZ, so do I need to contact Dubai, Hong Kong, USA or Australia(all connecting points)?
Can I even travel to New Zealand, or will I be sent home(or stopped boarding)?
Are there any countries I absolutely can't travel to, or through?

I have changed my name since, but I know this won't matter in regards to my passport.

What can I expect when travelling? Will I be searched and monitored because of my past?

I appreciate any help and assistance.
GO