theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Drug Trafficking conviction

Drug Trafficking conviction

Author
SteveH
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Good morning all and thank you for letting me share this.
In 2000 I was arrested in Germany for smuggling cocaine with 3 others; the amount was 35KG and was brought in in suitcases from Jamaica via Gatwick on a transferring 
flight to Munich.
Myself and one of the others were stopped by Customs at Gatwick and were searched, we were pulled out of the line of people walking through the airport so they must've known about us.They let us carry on to Germany and we landed in Munich, got through the airport, collected the cocaine laden suitcases and left. 
We went to a Hotel in the city centre and as we got out of the cab we were arrested by the German Police.
Cutting a long story short, I was convicted and sentenced to 5 years in a German jail of which I served 3.5 years and sent back to the UK in 2004. It came out in the trial that customs knew about the drugs at Gatwick and called ahead to the Germans who decided to grant us entry to find out where we were going.
My passport ran out in 2007 and applied for a new one and went to the Maldives with absolutely no problems at all; 2 years ago I went to Portugal and again no problems.
HOWEVER, this October I want to go to California on a 10 day trip with my partner.I'm awaiting my new passport as the other's just ran out and will then apply for an ESTA. I FULLY understand the consequences of ticking NO on the convictions tab on the ESTA when my new Passport comes through and I apply,  but I'm worried about the fingerprinting in the US, etc and will I be flagged up?? I know the UK doesn't share criminal records with the US but could they know ???  I know this is conviction is on record in the UK as I checked and obviously will be in Germany, where I think I'm barred entry to.
Could anybody help me with this ?
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

SteveH - 6 Apr 17 8:39 AM
In 2000 I was arrested in Germany for smuggling cocaine with 3 others; the amount was 35KG and was brought in in suitcases from Jamaica via Gatwick on a transferring 
flight to Munich.
Myself and one of the others were stopped by Customs at Gatwick and were searched, we were pulled out of the line of people walking through the airport so they must've known about us.They let us carry on to Germany and we landed in Munich, got through the airport, collected the cocaine laden suitcases and left. 
We went to a Hotel in the city centre and as we got out of the cab we were arrested by the German Police.
Cutting a long story short, I was convicted and sentenced to 5 years in a German jail of which I served 3.5 years and sent back to the UK in 2004. It came out in the trial that customs knew about the drugs at Gatwick and called ahead to the Germans who decided to grant us entry to find out where we were going.
My passport ran out in 2007 and applied for a new one and went to the Maldives with absolutely no problems at all; 2 years ago I went to Portugal and again no problems.
HOWEVER, this October I want to go to California on a 10 day trip with my partner.I'm awaiting my new passport as the other's just ran out and will then apply for an ESTA. I FULLY understand the consequences of ticking NO on the convictions tab on the ESTA when my new Passport comes through and I apply,  but I'm worried about the fingerprinting in the US, etc and will I be flagged up?? I know the UK doesn't share criminal records with the US but could they know ???  I know this is conviction is on record in the UK as I checked and obviously will be in Germany, where I think I'm barred entry to.

Hi SteveH

Thanks for your post.

As you're aware, you will be finger-printed when you enter the US but these are not compared to fingerprints held anywhere else. 

If you were to commit an offence in the US then US immigration could ask Interpol for access to the PNC and the fingerprints taken on entry to the US would be used to match what's held about you in the UK. 

Hope this helps.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
SteveH
SteveH
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)Supreme Being (811 reputation)

Deb S - 6 Apr 17 9:00 AM
flight to Munich.

Hi SteveH

Thanks for your post.

As you're aware, you will be finger-printed when you enter the US but these are not compared to fingerprints held anywhere else. 

If you were to commit an offence in the US then US immigration could ask Interpol for access to the PNC and the fingerprints taken on entry to the US would be used to match what's held about you in the UK. 

Hope this helps.

Debs

flight to Munich.

Hi SteveH

Thanks for your post.

Hope this helps.

Debs

Hi Debs,

Many thanks for your repsonse, it is much appreciated and has put my mind at restSmile

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

SteveH - 6 Apr 17 9:10 AM
flight to Munich.

Hi SteveH

Thanks for your post.

Hope this helps.

Debs

flight to Munich.

Hi SteveH

Thanks for your post.

Hope this helps.

Debs

Hi Debs,

Many thanks for your repsonse, it is much appreciated and has put my mind at restSmile

Hope you have a good holiday. 

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO