theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Changing the way rehabilitation may work?

Changing the way rehabilitation may work?

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CC - 8 Dec 17 12:37 PM
6 DEC 2017 —" Sam Gyimah tweeted this yesterday and deleted it after people were outraged. He decided to mock the system and read Harry Potter mocking people like me fighting the injustice of ipp and also you the tax payer. Outrageous behaviour by the prisons Minster".
An extract from Shirley Debono`s campaign to get IPP sentences completely abolished.
With attitudes like this its going to be hard going.

Well, the criminal justice system has been like an arms race for decades, and nobody would ever want to be open to accusations of being "soft on crime". As a result, some of them over-compensate to be on the safe side. I remember one of his MoJ colleagues saying that the current rehabilitation law is just fine, thank you very much, so there is no way they will want to make any changes unless a court forces them to. I wish other parties could offer any hope, but having met an MP who was visiting prison while I was inside, I'm not holding my breath.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

6 DEC 2017 —" Sam Gyimah tweeted this yesterday and deleted it after people were outraged. He decided to mock the system and read Harry Potter mocking people like me fighting the injustice of ipp and also you the tax payer. Outrageous behaviour by the prisons Minster".
An extract from Shirley Debono`s campaign to get IPP sentences completely abolished.
With attitudes like this its going to be hard going.
Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

CC - 20 Nov 17 6:28 PM
On the subject of rehabilitation, or the lack thereof, has anyone else found that the experience of going to prison is mentally damaging in the long term and has anything ever been done to address this. I expect that it has not been top of anyone agenda. Punishment is morally justified but is long term mental damage so. Especially for anyone who committed their offence due to issues in the first place where a prison sentence has just made it worse?

I'm sure many people find prison mentally damaging, and in some cases could lead to PTSD. I had issues that contributed to my offending, but being in prison got them all sorted out, one way or another, but I was probably one of the lucky ones. I accepted from day one that I was there because of what I had done and didn't try to rationalise it away or feel that I had to become someone else because I was a prisoner. Of course, for people who really are innocent, it must be even worse than for others who struggle with it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

On the subject of rehabilitation, or the lack thereof, has anyone else found that the experience of going to prison is mentally damaging in the long term and has anything ever been done to address this. I expect that it has not been top of anyone agenda. Punishment is morally justified but is long term mental damage so. Especially for anyone who committed their offence due to issues in the first place where a prison sentence has just made it worse?
Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC - 9 Nov 17 12:45 PM
AB2014 - 9 Nov 17 10:07 AM
CC - 8 Nov 17 3:23 PM

This is another update from Shirley Debono.  I just hope that something positive comes out of it although that would be very optimistic given past records.
"Justice select committee has launched inquiry into prison over crowding"

I wish something positive would come out of at least one of these inquiries, but having looked at their webpage here, it looks like they just want to make sure they have enough prison capacity available for all the people that will be sent to prison. Ironically, they also have an inquiry about Transforming Rehabilitation that might actually look at transforming rehabilitation. Not that any government is likely to pay any attention to the outcome. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

I dont think you are to be honest. Seeing the way it works I expect very little.

A bit off-topic, but apparently somebody once said that a cynic is someone who sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Looks like we're all cynics on here, then.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 9 Nov 17 10:07 AM

This is another update from Shirley Debono.  I just hope that something positive comes out of it although that would be very optimistic given past records.

I wish something positive would come out of at least one of these inquiries, but having looked at their webpage here, it looks like they just want to make sure they have enough prison capacity available for all the people that will be sent to prison. Ironically, they also have an inquiry about Transforming Rehabilitation that might actually look at transforming rehabilitation. Not that any government is likely to pay any attention to the outcome. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

I dont think you are to be honest. Seeing the way it works I expect very little.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC
CC
Supreme Being

Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC - 28 Oct 17 12:02 PM
AB2014 - 17 Oct 17 11:11 AM
CC - 13 Oct 17 2:49 PM
I have just read the latest update on Shirley Debono`s petition. It is good that Lord Ramsbotham tried to get somewhere with David Lidington but unfortunately Mr Lidington
 is too busy at the moment with Brexit to get engaged with this. I have to wonder
if this is more a case of "lets see if we can be rid of the pesky ECHR so we can do what we want" than delegation of workload? 
I sincerely hope not.
I would very much like to hear Unlocks take on this?

I don't know what Unlock's position is, but I remember the MoJ refusing to change their approach to existing IPP prisoners after the sentence was abolished. They are resisting all attempts to change the laws on rehabilitation, including the filtering court case and David Lammy's recommendations. An MoJ minion said the current system is acceptable. Unfortunately, criminal justice has been an arms race for years, so they are all terrified of being seen as soft on crime. Not necessarily by ordinary people across the country, who could probably be persuaded, but by certain tabloid newspapers. As for the ECHR, the government relies on the DUP for support, and the DUP needs the ECHR to keep the peace process alive, so this government will not be taking us out of the ECHR, however much they hate it.

It would seem that Ms Debono is quite proficient in exposing the shortcomings in the current system, I do wish her every success in her determined effort to effect some beneficial changes .  
26 OCT 2017 —" Ex service men that served in the Iraq and Afghanistan war that came home suffering from ptsd and no help, in some cases homeless. These are forgotten not just by the public but also the MOD. Having served our country some found them selves in the justice system being sentenced to low tariffs and still in prison 10,11,12 years later having the IPP added. The public don't know this either. Shame on MOD for forgetting our heros. And shame on the government for hiding this and brushing it under the carpet I have emailed the Help the hero`s organisation about whether they were aware of this but was ignored. These hero`s need justice to"  (quoted extract from Sirley Debono`s petition) for those not following her.

The points she makes are all very good. When I was in prison, I knew a few ex-forces guys. They were all great people, proud to have served their country, but one or two of them did have anger issues as a result of their experiences. It's all very well the government going on about treating physical injuries, which can be appalling, but even Prince Harry doesn't extend his mentions of mental health issues to ex-forces. He could do so much good for this cause.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 17 Oct 17 11:11 AM
I have just read the latest update on Shirley Debono`s petition. It is good that Lord Ramsbotham tried to get somewhere with David Lidington but unfortunately Mr Lidington
 is too busy at the moment with Brexit to get engaged with this. I have to wonder
if this is more a case of "lets see if we can be rid of the pesky ECHR so we can do what we want" than delegation of workload? 
I sincerely hope not.

I don't know what Unlock's position is, but I remember the MoJ refusing to change their approach to existing IPP prisoners after the sentence was abolished. They are resisting all attempts to change the laws on rehabilitation, including the filtering court case and David Lammy's recommendations. An MoJ minion said the current system is acceptable. Unfortunately, criminal justice has been an arms race for years, so they are all terrified of being seen as soft on crime. Not necessarily by ordinary people across the country, who could probably be persuaded, but by certain tabloid newspapers. As for the ECHR, the government relies on the DUP for support, and the DUP needs the ECHR to keep the peace process alive, so this government will not be taking us out of the ECHR, however much they hate it.

It would seem that Ms Debono is quite proficient in exposing the shortcomings in the current system, I do wish her every success in her determined effort to effect some beneficial changes .  
26 OCT 2017 —" Ex service men that served in the Iraq and Afghanistan war that came home suffering from ptsd and no help, in some cases homeless. These are forgotten not just by the public but also the MOD. Having served our country some found them selves in the justice system being sentenced to low tariffs and still in prison 10,11,12 years later having the IPP added. The public don't know this either. Shame on MOD for forgetting our heros. And shame on the government for hiding this and brushing it under the carpet I have emailed the Help the hero`s organisation about whether they were aware of this but was ignored. These hero`s need justice to"  (quoted extract from Sirley Debono`s petition) for those not following her.

Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

I sincerely hope not.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

I sincerely hope not.

Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC - 11 Oct 17 6:06 PM
AB2014 - 10 Oct 17 10:55 AM
CC - 8 Oct 17 6:50 PM
Nice to read that the petition to abolish IPP sentences from ex-offenders I mentioned earlier has now reached over 40,000 signatures of support. Its just a shame that this is needed to get some common sense changes to rehabilitation and allow ex-offenders to get on with their lives.

It is encouraging to see him get so much support, but it is only for one prisoner and his family. There are no new IPP sentences, but still thousands of people stuck in prison because of them. No rehabilitation for them yet, unfortunately.

Hi I just wanted to highlight the fact that there are a lot of people out there that are willing to show some support for ex offenders which seems to be the opposite of what you would expect given the stories that appear in the papers (especially when they use such derogatory terms to describe said person), I am sure I dont need to repeat them here). I wanted to make the point that a lot of people would appear to support an ex offender who is trying to get on with life.  If one IPP gets some support then maybe others will maybe?

I certainly agree that there should be more support for ex-offenders, including those still inside on IPPs. However, I suspect much of the sympathy in this case was actually for his family, especially his mother, and that other prisoners in similar circumstances would be ignored. I suspect the media, especially certain outlets, would prefer to say that they don't have a problem with prisoners being kept in prison years beyond their tariff. I knew a few IPPs and lifers when I was inside. Discretionary lifers seem to get the worst of it, way beyond what this poor guy had to survive.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 10 Oct 17 10:55 AM
Nice to read that the petition to abolish IPP sentences from ex-offenders I mentioned earlier has now reached over 40,000 signatures of support. Its just a shame that this is needed to get some common sense changes to rehabilitation and allow ex-offenders to get on with their lives.

It is encouraging to see him get so much support, but it is only for one prisoner and his family. There are no new IPP sentences, but still thousands of people stuck in prison because of them. No rehabilitation for them yet, unfortunately.

Hi I just wanted to highlight the fact that there are a lot of people out there that are willing to show some support for ex offenders which seems to be the opposite of what you would expect given the stories that appear in the papers (especially when they use such derogatory terms to describe said person), I am sure I dont need to repeat them here). I wanted to make the point that a lot of people would appear to support an ex offender who is trying to get on with life.  If one IPP gets some support then maybe others will maybe?
Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC
CC
Supreme Being

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

CC - 3 Oct 17 3:16 PM
AB2014 - 3 Oct 17 10:46 AM
CC - 30 Sep 17 10:19 PM
AB2014 - 28 Sep 17 12:04 PM
CC - 21 Sep 17 9:03 PM
CC - 20 Sep 17 7:16 PM
Wentworth2 - 20 Sep 17 3:18 PM
AB2014 - 19 Sep 17 1:02 PM
Wentworth2 - 17 Sep 17 2:41 PM
CC - 19 Aug 17 11:32 PM
Wentworth2 - 18 Aug 17 8:01 PM

www.uservoice.org/our-story/

UserVoice on rehabilitation and its Story to date.

Details for anyone interested.

Wentworth.

An interesting read thanks Wentworth, but for me (who`s conviction will never be spent despite the very low re-offending rate) its really irrelevant.No offence intended. Yes a cynical view but for my offence type still a fact. I managed my rehabilitation despite and not with any aid (of which there was non). I hold the opinion that its all done to sound good with no real substance behind it. I applaud anyone who tries but careers would be jeopardised if any real change was seen to be implemented. (and the daily Mail would have a field day :-)  Wink.
If they are sincere about rehab then a tangible incentive has to be on offer?? In the past 7 years its been sadly lacking ,I've managed to get along without it.

Thanks for your reply and it must be frustrating the fact your conviction will never be spent! I have to say though through my own experience with Uservoice that such a project has real substance. Whilst I was with this charity it supported and gave confidence to at least 16 individuals to find training and consequent employment.
I would recommend Uservoice to anyone who may seem unsure of a direction which will aid in moving away from the Criminal justice system finding support and guidance that may help in improving your life chances. 

Hi Wentworth, I'm certainly not dismissing UserVoice. I had some involvement with them in prison, and the effect they had on some prisoners in terms of confidence and general outlook was amazing. Didn't do me any harm, either!

Hi AB2014

Thanks for your reply. Good to know UserVoice is seeming to have a positive effect, and anything that helps whilst in prison is obviously a good prospect.

https://www.change.org/p/let-my-son-rebuild-his-life-abolish-the-ipp-off-him?recruiter=393480669&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=142771&utm_content=nafta_copylink_shortlink_1%3Acontrol
On the subject of rehabilitation it is easy to believe that public opinion is against you, but then its really nice to see so many willing to show support for someone stuck on IPP. An amazing 38,000 signatures to date wow!

Just checked my previous link re prison system in Norway on You Tube. That has had 29K likes. Maybe what needs to change isn't the public's attitude but the MOJ. I was given to understand (although I have not confirmed this)   Nick Hardwick, chairman of the parole board has publicly expressed frustration at the governments failure to "get a grip" on IPPs .  This to me seems endemic of the system as a whole but I may have the wrong understanding of this. I am sure someone will be able to clarify the problem better than me.

You are right about Nick Hardwick. There was an article about it in The Guardian last month. It may be partly about resistance to any sort of change, but there is also an undercurrent of being seen to be tough on crime. When the David Lammy recommendations were first aired, a government minion from the MoJ went on air to defend the current system as if it were the best of all possible worlds and certainly a very reasonable way of doing things.

There is a difference between being tough on crime (which we all know is a euphemism for more votes please) and committing to a rehabilitation thats actually effective. The current system is a total mess. My own case in point (redacted version) I had a parole sentence which was dependant on my completing a course! thats good thats a start to rehab. I did my course and passed well. Time for parole : denied? Why? no paperwork received saying I had done my course. My solicitor to parole board "it was sent" p,b "we haven't had it" my solicitor, "yes you have and I sent it registered, you signed for itpb " oh did we? we will take a look" 6 months later pb "yes you were right parole granted"  6 months to find the report??? 35k per annum to keep me there so £19.5 k wasted. Best system?? er no not in my experience. Support when released zero. I cannot be the only one to go through this I am sure so what does that say? I had to use a solicitor just to get me on the course I was supposed to do. if he hadn't I would have been released with no course or help at all. I dont believe in the Rehab Fairy.

I think the only people who understand the difference between rehabilitation and being tough on crime are people who are in or have been through the criminal justice system. Most other people just think "Yeah, lock 'em up". I knew someone inside who was granted immediate release by the Parole Board, who then lost his file, and only found it when he asked a solicitor to investigate. He was then released exactly six months to the day after the date of the original direction. Most people outside the system wouldn't be the least bit bothered by that, although they would probably complain bitterly about the amount of compensation he was due.... Many others are languishing in prison in similar circumstances to his or yours, and that's just the start of the failure to treat rehabilitation properly.

It would all make some sense if the "way its done" saves some money, I can run my own business alright but cannot fathom the thinking behind what I have experienced. As stated in my case a loss of 19.5k which was small change compared to a guy I met in there who had been recalled over nothing more than a typo on his licence conditions. After 11 months waiting back on recall the court decided he wasn't to blame and released him with 11 months compensation for illegal detention. I had sight of his solicitors letter informing him he was being released. 11 months to sort a typo?? good grief.
My point being if they cannot sort such a simple matter with any expediency how can an ex-offender get any help to get back on track.. from my experience I have never seen as many different people pulling in their own direction regardless of anybody else` agenda. 

I got the impression that the prison service was quite chaotic, a bit like the analogy of the duck looking calm on the surface. Perhaps they're who the Prime Minister meant when she referred to people who are "just about managing"? I must say that in my experience the National Probation Service is more organised, but as for actively helping rehabilitation? They just don't do half of the things they were doing ten years ago, and I suspect HM Treasury has some responsibility for that, along with the emphasis on reducing re-offending at the expense of rehabilitation. As I said above, the government are quite happy with the ROA and don't seem to be impressed by David Lammy's recommendations.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 3 Oct 17 10:46 AM

Wentworth.

An interesting read thanks Wentworth, but for me (who`s conviction will never be spent despite the very low re-offending rate) its really irrelevant.No offence intended. Yes a cynical view but for my offence type still a fact. I managed my rehabilitation despite and not with any aid (of which there was non). I hold the opinion that its all done to sound good with no real substance behind it. I applaud anyone who tries but careers would be jeopardised if any real change was seen to be implemented. (and the daily Mail would have a field day :-)  Wink.
If they are sincere about rehab then a tangible incentive has to be on offer?? In the past 7 years its been sadly lacking ,I've managed to get along without it.

Thanks for your reply and it must be frustrating the fact your conviction will never be spent! I have to say though through my own experience with Uservoice that such a project has real substance. Whilst I was with this charity it supported and gave confidence to at least 16 individuals to find training and consequent employment.
I would recommend Uservoice to anyone who may seem unsure of a direction which will aid in moving away from the Criminal justice system finding support and guidance that may help in improving your life chances. 

Hi Wentworth, I'm certainly not dismissing UserVoice. I had some involvement with them in prison, and the effect they had on some prisoners in terms of confidence and general outlook was amazing. Didn't do me any harm, either!

Hi AB2014

Thanks for your reply. Good to know UserVoice is seeming to have a positive effect, and anything that helps whilst in prison is obviously a good prospect.

https://www.change.org/p/let-my-son-rebuild-his-life-abolish-the-ipp-off-him?recruiter=393480669&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=142771&utm_content=nafta_copylink_shortlink_1%3Acontrol
On the subject of rehabilitation it is easy to believe that public opinion is against you, but then its really nice to see so many willing to show support for someone stuck on IPP. An amazing 38,000 signatures to date wow!

Just checked my previous link re prison system in Norway on You Tube. That has had 29K likes. Maybe what needs to change isn't the public's attitude but the MOJ. I was given to understand (although I have not confirmed this)   Nick Hardwick, chairman of the parole board has publicly expressed frustration at the governments failure to "get a grip" on IPPs .  This to me seems endemic of the system as a whole but I may have the wrong understanding of this. I am sure someone will be able to clarify the problem better than me.

You are right about Nick Hardwick. There was an article about it in The Guardian last month. It may be partly about resistance to any sort of change, but there is also an undercurrent of being seen to be tough on crime. When the David Lammy recommendations were first aired, a government minion from the MoJ went on air to defend the current system as if it were the best of all possible worlds and certainly a very reasonable way of doing things.

There is a difference between being tough on crime (which we all know is a euphemism for more votes please) and committing to a rehabilitation thats actually effective. The current system is a total mess. My own case in point (redacted version) I had a parole sentence which was dependant on my completing a course! thats good thats a start to rehab. I did my course and passed well. Time for parole : denied? Why? no paperwork received saying I had done my course. My solicitor to parole board "it was sent" p,b "we haven't had it" my solicitor, "yes you have and I sent it registered, you signed for itpb " oh did we? we will take a look" 6 months later pb "yes you were right parole granted"  6 months to find the report??? 35k per annum to keep me there so £19.5 k wasted. Best system?? er no not in my experience. Support when released zero. I cannot be the only one to go through this I am sure so what does that say? I had to use a solicitor just to get me on the course I was supposed to do. if he hadn't I would have been released with no course or help at all. I dont believe in the Rehab Fairy.

I think the only people who understand the difference between rehabilitation and being tough on crime are people who are in or have been through the criminal justice system. Most other people just think "Yeah, lock 'em up". I knew someone inside who was granted immediate release by the Parole Board, who then lost his file, and only found it when he asked a solicitor to investigate. He was then released exactly six months to the day after the date of the original direction. Most people outside the system wouldn't be the least bit bothered by that, although they would probably complain bitterly about the amount of compensation he was due.... Many others are languishing in prison in similar circumstances to his or yours, and that's just the start of the failure to treat rehabilitation properly.

It would all make some sense if the "way its done" saves some money, I can run my own business alright but cannot fathom the thinking behind what I have experienced. As stated in my case a loss of 19.5k which was small change compared to a guy I met in there who had been recalled over nothing more than a typo on his licence conditions. After 11 months waiting back on recall the court decided he wasn't to blame and released him with 11 months compensation for illegal detention. I had sight of his solicitors letter informing him he was being released. 11 months to sort a typo?? good grief.
My point being if they cannot sort such a simple matter with any expediency how can an ex-offender get any help to get back on track.. from my experience I have never seen as many different people pulling in their own direction regardless of anybody else` agenda. 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Wentworth.

Hi AB2014

CC
CC
Supreme Being

Wentworth.

Hi AB2014

Edited
7 Years Ago by CC
GO