theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Another Introduction

Another Introduction

Author
Derek Arnold
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am an ex-offender currently on license.

As a teacher and disability advocate, I spent most of my time while ensconced as a mentor, instruction or advisor.

Given my particular circumstances, which I will not bore anyone with here, I made it my business to help others who were not progressing due to a range of barriers they faced in understanding some of the conflicting and complex legislation and regulations - the hoops that prisoners are required to jump through.

I was chair of the prison council and was very successful in helping others with their ROTL applications, which caused some fellas such headaches they preferred to not spend time with their families once they were entitled to make applications for.

I like to think that I have a handle on some of the issues that affect anyone either in prison or already released into the real world. I'm by no means an expert on many things but I am very happy to share what I have learned along the way, as I am passionate about prisoners being able to pursue progression whether as part of their sentence plan or for themselves personally.

Good luck to all those trying to find their feet, I know how difficult it is for us all.

GO