theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Should I risk travelling on an ESTA?

Should I risk travelling on an ESTA?

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jwalk2016 - 16 Jul 18 5:05 PM
Just to update everyone, I travelled on the ESTA with absolutely no issues. US immigration didn’t so much as bat an eyelid Smile. My passport was stamped to remain in the US for 90 days. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Hi jwalk2016

Thanks for the update. Hope you had a great trip.

Best wishes

Debbie

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
jwalk2016
jwalk2016
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)

Just to update everyone, I travelled on the ESTA with absolutely no issues. US immigration didn’t so much as bat an eyelid Smile. My passport was stamped to remain in the US for 90 days. Thanks everyone for your advice.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Hola - 5 Apr 18 9:18 PM

Agree, nothing is concrete but the charges are minor so you def won't be on any list, so just travel on the ESTA and have a great time

Agreed with this. Your convictions are so insignificant, there is nothing to worry about. All the more so if you answered truthfully and still got accepted for an ESTA.
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

AB2014 - 5 Apr 18 3:59 PM
jwalk2016 - 5 Apr 18 2:39 PM
Hi everyone.

My criminal record is as follows:
2000 reprimand for shoplifting (then aged 16)
2004 caution for shoplifting (then aged 20)
Not so much as a parking ticket since.

I have booked a family holiday to New York in 3 months time, staying for a week.

I have completed the ESTA application honestly & it was accepted. I have since read that I should have applied for a visa. I’m really unsure what to do. Apply for visa & risk being turned down- if I need a waiver of admissibility I will not be able to go on the holiday. Or do I risk travelling under ESTA.

Have we any concrete answers as to whether US customs have access to the UK PNC or whether anything would flag up if my fingerprints are taken?

Many thanks in advance.

The way I understand it is that visas are issued by the State Department, who go by answers to the questions. The actual border control is run by Homeland Security, who are the people who want to know your full history. Either way, the ESTA is issued by the State Department, and their questions are there to weed out people who need a visa. If you can answer the questions truthfully and still get an ESTA then that is good enough. On the Unlock website here, they advise working from the questions. The Unlock page here says that the government has confirmed that they don't share that sort of information with the US or anyone else. The recent news about sharing information was about US citizens convicted in the UK and UK citizens convicted in the US. You might well get a visa in time to go to New York, but why take up all that time and money to get something the US authorities have already said you don't need?

Agree, nothing is concrete but the charges are minor so you def won't be on any list, so just travel on the ESTA and have a great time

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

jwalk2016 - 5 Apr 18 2:39 PM
Hi everyone.

I have booked a family holiday to New York in 3 months time, staying for a week.

I have completed the ESTA application honestly & it was accepted. I have since read that I should have applied for a visa. I’m really unsure what to do. Apply for visa & risk being turned down- if I need a waiver of admissibility I will not be able to go on the holiday. Or do I risk travelling under ESTA.

Have we any concrete answers as to whether US customs have access to the UK PNC or whether anything would flag up if my fingerprints are taken?

Many thanks in advance.

The way I understand it is that visas are issued by the State Department, who go by answers to the questions. The actual border control is run by Homeland Security, who are the people who want to know your full history. Either way, the ESTA is issued by the State Department, and their questions are there to weed out people who need a visa. If you can answer the questions truthfully and still get an ESTA then that is good enough. On the Unlock website here, they advise working from the questions. The Unlock page here says that the government has confirmed that they don't share that sort of information with the US or anyone else. The recent news about sharing information was about US citizens convicted in the UK and UK citizens convicted in the US. You might well get a visa in time to go to New York, but why take up all that time and money to get something the US authorities have already said you don't need?

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

jwalk2016
jwalk2016
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)Supreme Being (757 reputation)

Hi everyone.

Many thanks in advance.
GO