theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travel to Zimbabwe enquiries

Travel to Zimbabwe enquiries

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yankee - 7 May 18 3:05 PM
BlueAngel - 7 May 18 1:03 AM
I have been invited to travel to Zimbabwe for a holiday at the end of this year by a group of friends. Only one of them knows about my conviction, which was spent five years ago and I have rebuilt my life.

When I looked at the visa requirements, it stated that they asked if the traveler or relative has ever had a conviction. I tried to contact the Zimbabwe Embassy in London by telephone and email for advice with no response. I wanted to know that if I applied for the visa through the embassy, rather than on arrival in Zimbabwe, if I was accepted would I still be pulled in by immigration to be questioned.

Has anybody had any experience of traveling to Zimbabwe please?

Many thanks

The last time I went (several years ago) I simply filled in the form at Harare airport and paid the fee.  With a UK passport you can still get a visa upon arrival for a tourist visit.  You can also get an evisa now online to avoid paying cash at the airport.

There is a question about criminal convictions but the Zimbos have no access to any criminal record information and do not ask for a police certificate if you decide that as your conviction is spent you will answer None to the question.

I've just checked the Zimbabwe London embassy website, and UK citizens can still apply for a visa on arrival. You can get details of the documents you'll need from their website here. As you can see, a police certificate is not required, but there might be a question on the landing card or the application form. As Yankee said, they don't have access to our criminal record system, so they rely on what you tell them, so all I can add is have a great holiday!

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

BlueAngel - 7 May 18 1:03 AM
I have been invited to travel to Zimbabwe for a holiday at the end of this year by a group of friends. Only one of them knows about my conviction, which was spent five years ago and I have rebuilt my life.

When I looked at the visa requirements, it stated that they asked if the traveler or relative has ever had a conviction. I tried to contact the Zimbabwe Embassy in London by telephone and email for advice with no response. I wanted to know that if I applied for the visa through the embassy, rather than on arrival in Zimbabwe, if I was accepted would I still be pulled in by immigration to be questioned.

Many thanks

The last time I went (several years ago) I simply filled in the form at Harare airport and paid the fee.  With a UK passport you can still get a visa upon arrival for a tourist visit.  You can also get an evisa now online to avoid paying cash at the airport.

There is a question about criminal convictions but the Zimbos have no access to any criminal record information and do not ask for a police certificate if you decide that as your conviction is spent you will answer None to the question.

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

Hello,

I have never been to Zimbabwe, but in general (my personal opinion only), they are unlikely to find out about about your conviction unless you inform them yourself.

People with convictions regularly get into developed nations with advanced criminal records/intelligence/computer systems (like the US, Australia, Canada, etc.) by ticking "no" to any questions about convictions. As long as a Zimbabwe visa does not require you to provide a police certificate, you should be OK. I am not a lawyer and this is my personal intuition/experience only, having travelled a fair amount with an unspent conviction and never declaring it.

I would also advise undertaking any embassy enquiries anonymously or using a fake name.

Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
BlueAngel
BlueAngel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Many thanks

GO