theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Prison restaurant serves up cut in reoffending

Prison restaurant serves up cut in reoffending

Author
Hitman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

I completely agree, I'm a little luckier than some in that I have years of experience behind me but the guys who I was helping knew they didn't stand a hope in hell of putting their new skills to any real practical use, especially at the entry level, the job market is saturated, especially in the IT field in particular, the lads were learning stuff that was terribly dated, using ageing computers running out of date software, but fair play to them most were keen to learn, at least they could put a good CV together.

Nemo Sine Vitio Est
Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Not much use in having a skill though if nobody will employ you or you are not allowed to work on certain projects.

You would need to stick to commercial only building projects on big sites...private self employed work would be a long way down the line.

You don't necessarily need too much practical skill for a site...for example if you start as a labourer and then impress the site manager or foreman, you'd be surprised how eager they are to save money. So if you have a painting and decorating skill and start out doing unskilled labouring then tell them you have painting and decorating experience and if they are impressed with your work so far they may just take you on as a painter but i emphasise the word 'may'

I hope these skills that the prisoners learn don't give them false hope, some may be thinking 'when i get out i can use my painting skills to earn money' but the reality in the real world is different. If you wanted to earn a decent pay you would need to get on board with a decorating firm and unless it's your mate who can vouch for you they will probably do CRB checks especially if they do a lot of private work for homeowners.

Hitman
Hitman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

How very true, welding, and motor trades were offered to mains population where I was, I had a strong IT background so was busy being an education mentor, but the VP's had next to nothing, remedial "keep them busy" work, and simple English and Maths, they did a Horticulture course for a short while but that was abandoned too, and they did get a lot of grief when they were out working, I could hear it from the college.

Nemo Sine Vitio Est
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)Supreme Being (40K reputation)

Hitman - 2 Aug 19 12:24 PM
It's great to see some prisons making real efforts to help their inmates rehabilitate and earn skills that will aid them on their path to employment and greatly reduce their risk of reoffending (see: Prison restaurant serves up cut in reoffending). I wonder however if the same service was on offer to VP residents who in contrast have very few opportunities like this.

Hi Hitman, probably not. I asked the OMU whilst I was "visiting"  you teach gardening or painting and decorating etc will you allow inmates who learn these trades to seek employment in these vocations after release? and that was my reply "probably not"

Wouldn't be allowed to go to peoples houses or work where there are children (restaurants cafes) so its just "busy work" tbh. Building sites want some practical experience as do fork lift operator positions although the prison I was at was training on that course as well?

I asked why not do welding or motor trades then and all I got was "Nah"? organised by  "The peoples front of Judea" monty python for those not in the know

I dont believe in the rehabilitation fairy.

Hitman
Hitman
Supreme Being

It's great to see some prisons making real efforts to help their inmates rehabilitate and earn skills that will aid them on their path to employment and greatly reduce their risk of reoffending (see: Prison restaurant serves up cut in reoffending). I wonder however if the same service was on offer to VP residents who in contrast have very few opportunities like this.

Nemo Sine Vitio Est
GO